• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any watch people here???

Ha! That didn't take long!

BTW I got my Wolf winder for about $80. It's a little but of money, but better than the $160 they normally run. Yes you can get a cheap plastic one for about $30 but imo they're not nice enough to display and the *holder* for your watch is plastic also. I worried about scratches on the watch over time.

Yeah watches are like crack. I kind of have an addictive personality too. I took my Tissot out of the safe today, wound it, set it and wore it around the house for an hour or so. Just enjoyed it. I'm not sure still that I'd WANT a winder. I just enjoyed the fiddling with it. Still, I am about to have four automatics. It might get old. LOL.

One thing though is my better watches are kept in my gun safe so the exterior of the winder won't matter so much. I know $80 is a great price for a wolf.

Most likely anything you get is going to be a compromise. I wanted a clean dial, large presence, and an exhibition back. I was originally going to get either an Omega Planet Ocean, a Breitling Seawolf, or a Tag Carrera.

When I went to buy, the Seawolf didn't do it for me like I thought it would. I also wanted a stainless band. I wound up with a Super Ocean Heritage on a rubber dive strap. It just sang to me when I put it on and the price was better than the other options. I got everything I wanted except the exhibition back.

Most people who like automatics are drawn to the sweep of the second hand. Myself included. So i knew I didn't want a chronograph, the second hand is a tiny sub dial. I mention this bc it's not common knowledge. Omega makes a beautiful watch but they have 5 ticks per second iirc? My Breitling has 8 and I think Rolex has 10? You can see comparisons on YouTube.

Is lume a big deal? My Breitling doesn't have great lume. I wish it was better but it is what it is. Ball Watch Company has some of the best lume in the business and makes some great looking watches.

How big a watch case do you like? Rolex as mentioned runs kind of small unless you have a large budget. If you're going to wear long sleeve shirts, professional attire...you may pay attention to thickness or watch height. I think mine is 14.5mm in height...but I never wear long sleeves.

Try to narrow it down to the type look you want, dressy, diver, etc. And the other forums listed earlier are a great place to look and find a LOT of brands that are unique...Tourneau is a great place to look, they carry a lot of brands and have a great used selection as well.

Hope I didn't ramble too much. Just basically passing on all the stuff I thought about and considered when I bought mine. I waited YEARS before I took the plunge. That's not an exaggeration. I decided when I turned 40, that's it! I'm gonna do it! But I still didn't buy until a few months after my birthday had passed lol.

Do NOT carry ANYTHING in your pocket on your watch side. I used to carry a pocket knife and I've kept a pen there also at times. Scratched my watch the second day I had it. Took me a few hours to buff it out. I've learned it's just going to happen on the buckle no matter what. I can live with that (now). But this was on the case.

Still rambling lol...what kind of finish do you like? I prefer stainless. Some watches or color combinations only come in certain finishes. I like the yellow dial Seawolf. But it only comes in titanium. I don't like titanium...it's light, yes. But when I wear my watch, I want to KNOW it's on my wrist. I'm funny like that.

I really like Tissot. They make a nice watch for sure. Like I said, I'd still have mine if it wasn't a present from my ex. My wife just couldn't stand it.

Most likely anything you get is going to be a compromise. I wanted a clean dial, large presence, and an exhibition back. I was originally going to get either an Omega Planet Ocean, a Breitling Seawolf, or a Tag Carrera.

When I went to buy, the Seawolf didn't do it for me like I thought it would. I also wanted a stainless band. I wound up with a Super Ocean Heritage on a rubber dive strap. It just sang to me when I put it on and the price was better than the other options. I got everything I wanted except the exhibition back.

Most people who like automatics are drawn to the sweep of the second hand. Myself included. So i knew I didn't want a chronograph, the second hand is a tiny sub dial. I mention this bc it's not common knowledge. Omega makes a beautiful watch but they have 5 ticks per second iirc? My Breitling has 8 and I think Rolex has 10? You can see comparisons on YouTube.

Is lume a big deal? My Breitling doesn't have great lume. I wish it was better but it is what it is. Ball Watch Company has some of the best lume in the business and makes some great looking watches.

How big a watch case do you like? Rolex as mentioned runs kind of small unless you have a large budget. If you're going to wear long sleeve shirts, professional attire...you may pay attention to thickness or watch height. I think mine is 14.5mm in height...but I never wear long sleeves.

Try to narrow it down to the type look you want, dressy, diver, etc. And the other forums listed earlier are a great place to look and find a LOT of brands that are unique...Tourneau is a great place to look, they carry a lot of brands and have a great used selection as well.

Hope I didn't ramble too much. Just basically passing on all the stuff I thought about and considered when I bought mine. I waited YEARS before I took the plunge. That's not an exaggeration. I decided when I turned 40, that's it! I'm gonna do it! But I still didn't buy until a few months after my birthday had passed lol.

Do NOT carry ANYTHING in your pocket on your watch side. I used to carry a pocket knife and I've kept a pen there also at times. Scratched my watch the second day I had it. Took me a few hours to buff it out. I've learned it's just going to happen on the buckle no matter what. I can live with that (now). But this was on the case.

Still rambling lol...what kind of finish do you like? I prefer stainless. Some watches or color combinations only come in certain finishes. I like the yellow dial Seawolf. But it only comes in titanium. I don't like titanium...it's light, yes. But when I wear my watch, I want to KNOW it's on my wrist. I'm funny like that.

Lotta great info and insights!

And I agree about chronographs. Who needs 'em any way? They clutter up a beautiful, elegant object and do the job a normal memory can. I think a watch is a time piece that allows you to sidestep the absence of elegance in the modern world. Trying to make it into a multi tasking computer reduces the simple joy of looking at it and, for a second or two, simply focusing on an attractive, stylish object...I am failing miserably at articulating what is so enjoyable about wearing and looking at a watch. It's a zen thing to me. Nothing shatters that zen moment like the annoyance of having to search for the right hands.

I also prefer , well metal bands. And not the old expansion bands....ugh! Hair pulling, always snug things make me feel claustrophobic. I find though that I like way too many color combinations(silver and blue, gold and blue, gold and black, silver and gold...) I do tend to gravitate towards blue faces though whenever I can.

As for the titanium, most of my watches have all been Citizens, which run to smallish. I've branched out to larger and heavier ones but still like the smaller, lighter ones too.

Lotta great info and insights!

And I agree about chronographs. Who needs 'em any way? They clutter up a beautiful, elegant object and do the job a normal memory can. I think a watch is a time piece that allows you to sidestep the absence of elegance in the modern world. Trying to make it into a multi tasking computer reduces the simple joy of looking at it and, for a second or two, simply focusing on an attractive, stylish object...I am failing miserably at articulating what is so enjoyable about wearing and looking at a watch. It's a zen thing to me. Nothing shatters that zen moment like the annoyance of having to search for the right hands.

I also prefer , well metal bands. And not the old expansion bands....ugh! Hair pulling, always snug things make me feel claustrophobic. I find though that I like way too many color combinations(silver and blue, gold and blue, gold and black, silver and gold...) I do tend to gravitate towards blue faces though whenever I can.

As for the titanium, most of my watches have all been Citizens, which run to smallish. I've branched out to larger and heavier ones but still like the smaller, lighter ones too.

Thanks!

I think you're plenty enough articulate...you captured it completely when you said it's a zen thing. (BTW my phone autocorrected zen to zenith...Zenith is another great watch brand I'd love to get one day!) The particular watch that will invoke that feeling will be different for each individual...but it is EXACTLY how you said it...my eyes linger on my watch before and after I've checked the time. My phone is quicker for sure...but the watch is beautiful.

I know I mentioned that I didn't WANT a chronograph, but I actually DO love the way they look. I'd love to have one someday as a second watch. I love the Breitling with the 2 subs, the green is a limited edition...reminds me of the speedo and the tach on a car. Plus my mind is programmed to prefer symmetrical designs. I love the blue and black combo with the stainless band on the other one...I tried on that exact model at Mayor's. Just had to walk away. Gorgeous but I don't have that cashflow. The Tag is the model I was considering. Price was a factor on that one...

tag-heuer-carrera-chronograph-calibre-1887-car2a11ba0799-1-ti.jpg
DSCN1845.jpg
126051-aff4b816857c1574600143cbe70d7153.jpg

That Breitling. ..omigod! Something about that rich bright blue begs to be looked at. And the mesh band is amazing. Wow!

I know, right?

I bought a mesh band for mine. It looked unbelievable. Loved the way it looked. But I took it off and sold it. It was always just a little too loose or a little too tight. Drove me nuts. My diver's strap has a ratcheting adjustment...can adjust it tighter or looser in literally 2 seconds. Soooo convenient. My wrist apparently swells and goes back down constantly throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom