• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody buying crystal?

Wife and I was in the same spot. Inherited a bunch from her mother when she passed. Couldn’t give it away, she kept her best memories and trashed the rest. Couldn’t even give it to grandkids or relatives, sorry.
Thanks, that is kind of the conclusion I'm coming to. At least she left behind a lot of gold and silver coins so those will be easy to deal with (I collect and most of them will add to my collection and what doesn't will go off on ebay) and a few guns that have taken up residence in my gun safe. But, the biggest lesson I am going to take away from this is that it is terribly unfair of someone to shuffle off and leave a lot of memories for someone else to have to dispose of with little clue of worth or market. As I age, things are becoming less and less important and sometime in the near future (hopefully I'll last that long) I'm going to divest myself of everything except what my wife and child and grandchildren will need or want and turn it all into cash since that will mean more to them than my EDC or various collections of stuff and my hot rod that no one but me enjoys driving. It's about leaving a clean slate and sliding out making it as easy as possible on the people left behind to deal with.

My wife sells that kind of thing on her Etsy shop. Most of the people that pay good money for vintage items are in NY and CA. You have to be willing to setup a shop, take pics, and post each item, ship, etc. if you want to make a decent profit. Otherwise, you'll likely get very little for it.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, no decanters and no 8 balls. Will probably hit the local antique shops and see what they will offer.
Very little I'm afraid. The market is damned near dead on that sort of thing.

Thanks, that is kind of the conclusion I'm coming to. At least she left behind a lot of gold and silver coins so those will be easy to deal with (I collect and most of them will add to my collection and what doesn't will go off on ebay) and a few guns that have taken up residence in my gun safe. But, the biggest lesson I am going to take away from this is that it is terribly unfair of someone to shuffle off and leave a lot of memories for someone else to have to dispose of with little clue of worth or market. As I age, things are becoming less and less important and sometime in the near future (hopefully I'll last that long) I'm going to divest myself of everything except what my wife and child and grandchildren will need or want and turn it all into cash since that will mean more to them than my EDC or various collections of stuff and my hot rod that no one but me enjoys driving. It's about leaving a clean slate and sliding out making it as easy as possible on the people left behind to deal with.

After working as on-premise liquidator for a few years, I agree. No need to leave behind a bunch of mysteries. I have an agent that will handle the sale of most stuff if I go before I can get rid of most of it. How would my brother know the difference between a $1,500 bayonet and an $80 bayonet if they both look nearly the same? I'm trying to tag stuff now and catalog it so it's easier to sell later.

Back
Top Bottom