• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody carry a PMR30 for self defense?

Even assuming 100% reliability, the ballistics of a 22 WMR are a joke out of a pistol. It needs a rifle barrel to do much more than 22 lr. There’s a reason you get such an impressive fireball.. A .32 or 380 would be a far better choice for self defense.

If you watch the linked video you might change your mind,,,,, about the ballistics anyway.......

It's a fun range toy. That's about it. Hard to trust one's life to a rimfire cartridge.

That’s my main, but not only, complaint. Rimfire cartridges are not as reliable as a centerfire cartridge, with all components being of equal quality.

Put several mags through it, not a single hiccup. Expected a few as it breaks in, but it ran smooth like clockwork. Damned accurate, no recoil and the trigger is better than my Glock 43x. It was weird to shoot a handgun that just never seemed to run out of ammo. 30 rounds is crazy, it was like a James Bond gun that never ran out. Haha.

Also put about 60 rounds of 00 buck and slugs through my Saiga clone. Holy crap is that a fun gun. It was reliable, and 15 round mag full of buckshot as fast as you can pull the trigger was fun and impressive. The thing is badass. Would make an insane home defense gun.

Anyway, both guns exceeded my expectations. The PMR was a pleasure to shoot, and based on what I saw, and videos like the one a couple pages back... 22WMR up close is no joke. May not make the biggest hole, but shot placement with this gun is a breeze and 30 rounds of ammo is not a bad thing. Carry a spare mag and you have 60 rounds plus one in the pipe . Crazy...

Biggest thing with reliability i saw with mine was ammo choice. Buy atleast 100 rounds of whatever ammo you can find for it and find out which one doesnt have any failures. Thats what i did. Dont remember what brand it was cause it traded it a long time ago but if you wanna carry it you gotta find out what does and doesnt work with them. They can be picky

So far the CCI MaxiMag 40gr is working flawless.
The bbl feed ramp was re-worked by KelTec awhile back addressing what appears to be almost all of the previous feeding issues. If anyone has the original bbl Kel-Tec will ship you the newer one for free.The 30 round mags aren’t hard to load and avoid rimlock once you get the hang of them. Kel Tec also reworked the front sight so that it doesn’t become loose.

It appears since the new barrel and the front site the PMR 30 is quite reliable. There’s plenty of guys on YouTube clocking several thousand rounds through theirs without a single hiccup most modern weights and brands.

I bought mine after my friend picked one up at work and casually blasted through 1300 rounds that came with it without a single problem.

I bought one from our shop at cost and am quickly working my way up to 1k as well. No issues at all to report.

I bought a third factory mag and have been using it as well as the two that come with for the last several hundred rounds. No issues with the extra mag either.

Just my personal experience other mileage may vary

Didn’t expect the 30gr Vmax to work as well as they have and they group great. No issues and have shot at least 200 of the 30gr

If nothing else the PMR-30 is one of the most fun firearms I own

The bbl feed ramp was re-worked by KelTec awhile back addressing what appears to be almost all of the previous feeding issues. If anyone has the original bbl Kel-Tec will ship you the newer one for free.The 30 round mags aren’t hard to load and avoid rimlock once you get the hang of them. Kel Tec also reworked the front sight so that it doesn’t become loose.

It appears since the new barrel and the front site the PMR 30 is quite reliable. There’s plenty of guys on YouTube clocking several thousand rounds through theirs without a single hiccup most modern weights and brands.

I bought mine after my friend picked one up at work and casually blasted through 1300 rounds that came with it without a single problem.

I bought one from our shop at cost and am quickly working my way up to 1k as well. No issues at all to report.

I bought a third factory mag and have been using it as well as the two that come with for the last several hundred rounds. No issues with the extra mag either.

Just my personal experience other mileage may vary

Didn’t expect the 30gr Vmax to work as well as they have and they group great. No issues and have shot at least 200 of the 30gr

If nothing else the PMR-30 is one of the most fun firearms I own

It is neat, and I think that the thing to remember with KelTec is to never buy the first gen of a new model. They have very innovative designs, but they never seem to work the bugs out with the first iteration... you have to tweak it yourself, replace something, do a fluff and buff, etc... That's fine for a range toy but not anything you would carry, IMHO and I am sure all would agree.

But over time they do tend to work the bugs out. The PMR30 seems to be one of those guns where they made some changes and now people love them. I think it was first announced in like 2010? Plenty of time to evolve and fix the platform... I was totally expecting issues on the first break in trip to the range, but it was smooth as butter and no issues. Can't say the same for the Kahr P9 that I had, or a couple other higher quality name brands that took a couple hundred rounds to smooth and break it in before it was reliable... Hell, I had a first gen Glock 36 that was a jam-o-matic even after a trip back to the factory for warranty repair...

SO FAR, it's good and if it stays that way, I may carry it. Having a full size, accurate as hell, no recoil gun that is so light that you barely know it's there, that also packs 30 rounds... I can't imagine the typical self defense situation where you would not be "adequately armed"... I know that some people feel that you are a ***** if you leave the house with anything less than a full sized 10mm with 5 spare magazines and a backup revolver on each ankle, "just in case"... But I think I will be fine. :-)

Back
Top Bottom