• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody carry a PMR30 for self defense?

Yeah, the barrel obviously drops the velocity a good bit... The CCI MaxiMags seem to average about 1325fps out of the PMR30 which only nets you about 150ft/lbs...

The .380 round out of a pocket pistol averages about 800fps, which with a 90gr bullet nets you about 128ft/lbs... So it's more than a .380, plus most .380's are limited to 6+1 capacity.

A .38 Special +P Hornady Critical Defense out of a 2" stubbie averages about 240ft/lbs, so a good bit more, but you only get 5 rounds vs 30.

I don't think that anyone would make the case that the PMR is an ideal carry gun. But I do think based on what I am seeing, that if you want something that weighs less than most .38 stubbies, but carries SIX TIMES the ammo capacity, has a good trigger and good sights and accuracy with 1/4 of the recoil... It's not bad.

Granted, for a gun it's size, you can just carry a Glock 17... I mean, they take the same holster... and the 9mm is obviously 2x or more the power of the .22WMR and you can still carry 17+1 rounds... The loaded weight difference, is 19oz vs 32oz... The Glock weighs nearly double what the PMR weighs and you will notice that...

Anyway, not sure how often I would carry it, but it is fun to shoot, its very accurate, the trigger is quite nice and so far it's been reliable, but time will tell.

Squire, you said:

"The CCI MaxiMags seem to average about 1325fps out of the PMR30 which only nets you about 150ft/lbs...

The .380 round out of a pocket pistol averages about 800fps, which with a 90gr bullet nets you about 128ft/lbs... So it's more than a .380..."

But your numbers are low.

Look at LuckyGunner's tests of a dozen .380 defensive loads from a little Glock 42 with a 3.25 bbl. Then go to an online ballistics calculator to find kinetic energybin foot/lbs.

Some examples:

CorBon 90 gr., 983 fps, = 193 ft./lbs. energy.

Hornady Crit. Defense, 90 gr. at 910 fos, = 166 ft/lbs.

Rem Golden Saber 102 gr., at 907 fos, =186 foot-pounds.

Sig V-Crown, 90 gr at 862 f.p.s. = 148 ft/lbs.

Winchester Ranger 95 gr. at 918 fps, = 178 ft./lbs.

Squire, you said:

"The CCI MaxiMags seem to average about 1325fps out of the PMR30 which only nets you about 150ft/lbs...

The .380 round out of a pocket pistol averages about 800fps, which with a 90gr bullet nets you about 128ft/lbs... So it's more than a .380..."

Look at LuckyGunner's tests of a dozen .380 defensive loads from a little Glock 42 with a 3.25 bbl. Then go to an online ballistics calculator to find kinetic energybin foot/lbs.

Some examples:

Additionally, your average .380 (which is a centerfire round) is more reliable than anything that uses a rimfire round.

Squire, you said:

Some examples:

Are those verified velocities out of an LCP or similar mouse gun that a lot of people carry?

Are those verified velocities out of an LCP or similar mouse gun that a lot of people carry?

Yes they are. That’s exactly how LuckyGunner tests. The numbers that GAgunLAWbooklet posted were the average of multiple rounds fired through a chronograph by LuckyGunner using a Glock 42.

All kidding aside, isn't the most important part of self defense, to simply HAVE a gun?

I mean, lots of people carry pocket pistols, many of them in things like .32 and .380 and those are not powerful guns, especially out of little mouse guns... And you only get a couple rounds in those guns so you have to carry spare mags, etc... Well, you don't have to, must most I assume do...

Plus, let's say there is a SHTF scenario, which I know a lot of hardcore gun guys like to prepare for... If I am honest, I believe an alarming number of them look forward to it, but that's another topic for another day... Wouldn't the ability to have a handgun that is quite accurate out to 40+ yards, that with a spare mag or two, you have nearly 100 rounds of ammo that doesn't weigh you down? That's a lot of zombie's you can take down, as you fight your way to your long guns...

And Keltec does sell a threaded barrel for this, if you want to add a can... That's kinda cool, no?

I keep a black widow in 22 Mag in the car. I can keep all five shots in a 6" target at 10yrds. Plus what I carry on my my person and a hidden Bond Arms Texas in 3" 4 10 Winchester defence rounds.

Back
Top Bottom