• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody Cold Smoke Salmon?

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Curious if anybody cold smokes salmon and has a go to recipe or advice on using the right fish. We hot smoke salmon at 165 degrees on the Traeger up to about 128-130 or so every week for breakfast bagels but I sure would like to cold smoke it. I have always just heard that using reputable fish sellers is key and I am not sure that Kroger qualifies. Any tips/tricks/horror stories to share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Caleb

I cold smoke salmon. It’s funny because I’m out salmon fishing now on Lake Ontario. I have a side box on my Bradley. I lay the fish down in 50-50 Morton tender quick and brown sugar. Cover the filets with that on both sides, cover and put them in the fridge overnight. Then take them out and wash them, pat dry and lay them on a rack with a fan blowing over them until you see a carnival glass look on the filets. Put them in the smoker with Alder wood and let the smoke do it’s magic without heat. When they are close to done brush on some honey and enjoy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 26
The carnival glass look is called a pellacle, and the fish when you take it out of the brine mix, will be pretty stiff and a light shade of orange. It will tender up when you smoke. I also smoke with the skins on. The crummy fat will stay with the skin when it’s done. It’s a slow day out here today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 27
My recipe is copied and adapted, and modified to fit my taste.
i get usually a whole salmon, file and trim myself. If a big specimen, i use the belly part, that gives best results.
once filed, i place it in a oblong glass pan, cover with bourbon, put a plastic film on the pan and let sit for four hours in the fridge. Take it out, pat dry with some towels. Empty the pan, wipe dry.
make a mixture of equal parts kosher salt and sugar, lemon zest from a lemon and chopped dill, about 1 cup. Place half the mixture in the glass pan, place the fish skinside down, cover with the other half of mixture, plastic film on, and in fridge goes for 24 hours. Remove from pan, rinse with cold water, pat dry , place uncovered on a rack in the fridge for 12 hours. It will form that pellicle on the surface. Smoke for 12 hours, slowly, and make sure it is cold smoke. I do not reccomend doing it now in the august heat. I use hickory, cherry or apple sawdust that smolders slowly. When done smoking, i wrap it in plastic film and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
time to eat, cut thin slices, if you cut obliquely, wil make larger slices. I like it most in a bagel with cream cheese, sliced cucumbers, sliced onions, capers and a splash of lemon juice. It is heavenly ! I reccomend to be used up within a week. Enjoy !!

Attachments

• 3509D83A-C1CB-4B26-8B24-E70799B3A6EA.jpeg
    3509D83A-C1CB-4B26-8B24-E70799B3A6EA.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 146A243E-3503-42F3-90A9-8E7BE4F3B512.jpeg
    146A243E-3503-42F3-90A9-8E7BE4F3B512.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 25
I've never cold smoked but I like to make Gravlax. It's a cured salmon that uses salt, sugar and dill. I forgo the dill and add liquid smoke to my salt/sugar mixture. It's easy and very tasty. Cure for 1-2 days in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom