• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody done a Ford 5.0 EFI swap?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Got a 67 Ford Im thinking about sticking a 5.0 into. Buddy at work says to get a 2000 Explorer/Mountaineer and use it as a donor. Ive worked on several 5.0's over the years but never done a swap. Any info/advice would be welcome. I was really wanting to run an aod (not aode) for simplicity/durability. Will the early aod's bolt up to the 2000's 5.0's?

Got a 67 Ford Im thinking about sticking a 5.0 into. Buddy at work says to get a 2000 Explorer/Mountaineer and use it as a donor. Ive worked on several 5.0's over the years but never done a swap. Any info/advice would be welcome. I was really wanting to run an aod (not aode) for simplicity/durability. Will the early aod's bolt up to the 2000's 5.0's?

The 302 AOD combo was used in a lot of vehicles up to 1991, so bolting up shouldnt be an issue. The problem you'll have to solve is how to control the transmission when it's bolted up to a computer controlled engine. The main reason to use the mountaineer/Explorer donor is that they used the the GT40 heads and intake. If you're going AOD instead of AODE you'll have to abandon computer control for a carb.

The 302 AOD combo was used in a lot of vehicles up to 1991, so bolting up shouldnt be an issue. The problem you'll have to solve is how to control the transmission when it's bolted up to a computer controlled engine. The main reason to use the mountaineer/Explorer donor is that they used the the GT40 heads and intake. If you're going AOD instead of AODE you'll have to abandon computer control for a carb.
Yeah im leaning more now towards keeping it carb'd the more I think about it. I just dont have time to do a conversion right now and deal with the bugs that come with it. I got the original (to me) engine running today so Im going to see what all it needs and check the vitals. And then at some point do an AOD swap and put a 9" rear in it later on. Just trying right now to get it rolling under its own power before I give it to mike.

I still think I'll put a 5.0 explorer engine in it one day just to benefit from the roller valvetrain and gt heads. But I'll swap intakes and put a demon carb on it to get the simplicity with the updated internals. Thats the plan for now anyways.

I wired up the factory FI, but knew I could get more power from that stock 5.0.

So... I put a fitech on it, edelbrock manifold gm style hei distributor.
Really woke up that engine

IMG_20170919_144044.jpg

IMG_20170918_135727.jpg

only problem i ran into was my crank and flywheel and harmonic balancer were not balanced because of mixing year models when i was buying parts. something to look into, it was shearing off my starter at about 45mph.

upload_2018-11-27_21-38-32.jpeg

I started this one from a 2000 Explorer motor for an F100, but now I want to use the original y-block. The Explorer factory cam sucks, so I replaced it with a Motorsport e303 and new valve springs. The factory heads flow great, but you do have to make sure the headers work with the GT-40p spark plug angle. It has an edelbrock performer intake and carb set up. Mallory unilite needs a steel gear to mate with the roller cam and the timing cover is wrong for the water pump. But, if you are interested, PM me and maybe we can work something out. I’m not going to use it, but it’d be nice if someone did.

OK.
Any ford EFI engine can be used. from the older 302 style.
Wiring harness can be bought complete - stand alone install.
will need to determine Auto or manual.
If AOD - stick with 89 thru 91 truck models due to end of production improvements.
B&M shift kit to improve fluid pressure and shift points
After market TV cable and PROPER SETTINGS NEED to be followed. Lokar has nice assy from summit or speedway
Separate computer will need to be purchased if one does not come with engine you purchase.
Have also found that 4:10 gears work nicely with the AOD!
but that's my rig your vehicle may vary......

1964 Mercury comet / 289 EFI / AOD / 4:10 Gears (computer thinks its a 302 - when using the Mass Air )

Merry Xmas

Back
Top Bottom