• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else built a greenhouse using old wooden window sashes?

Curiosity: How are you going to frame to hold them windows in a good position? How about air flow into the plants or ventilation? Proly will need some big fan in one end...

Samples:
greenhouse-made-from-old-windows4.jpg.webp

My father built a greenhouse this way years ago - there was nothing special about it other that it was less sealed than a custom one. It was hard to make really waterproof without basically framing out a shed structure, and less sun got in because items like window frames and the structure itself didn't transmit light, but he was growing successfully in it once it was built.

If the windows you have available aren't standardized or consistent sizes, I'm sure the whole project would become a real PITA

Curiosity: How are you going to frame to hold them windows in a good position? How about air flow into the plants or ventilation? Proly will need some big fan in one end...

Samples:
greenhouse-made-from-old-windows4.jpg.webp

You see how they left the trusses open inn front? That's the air ventilation, I believe!

My father built a greenhouse this way years ago - there was nothing special about it other that it'll naturally be less sealed than a custom one. It was hard to make really waterproof without basically framing out a shed structure, and less sun gets in because items like window frames and the structure itself don't transmit light, but he was growing successfully in it once it was built.

If the windows you have available aren't standardized or consistent sizes, I'm sure the whole project would become a real PITA
I think the costs to build an effective "shed" to hold them windows in place, would be really high. Although it can look really beautiful though.

Back
Top Bottom