• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else built a greenhouse using old wooden window sashes?

I’ve decided to go this route vs buying one prefabbed due to cost. I located someone who has a ton of windows so I’m moving forward. Would like to see what you built and things like ventilation systems
I would want PVC materials for the window frames. And use the clear plastic roof panels along with pressure treated lumber for the framing. I have no idea how well it would transmit light though, but you'd have a good structure

Curiosity: How are you going to frame to hold them windows in a good position? How about air flow into the plants or ventilation? Proly will need some big fan in one end...

Samples:
greenhouse-made-from-old-windows4.jpg.webp

What about hail protection?

I would want PVC materials for the window frames. And use the clear plastic roof panels along with pressure treated lumber for the framing. I have no idea how well it would transmit light though, but you'd have a good structure
I used pressure treated for all my framing and 1" insulation panels for any area that wasn’t window.
The clear roofing comes in several grades and for the small price difference I would definitely go with the premium panels for wear and longevity.
I went cheap initially and had to replace them far sooner than I wanted to but when I did I upgraded the roofing.

I used to have a contractor buddy who collected patio doors from everyone he knew that replaced them. When he had enough he build a sloping wall out of them that covered the entire south facing wall of his 2 story house. His wife had a huge green house/sun room and during the winter he had a home that kind of self heateed for the most part on sunny days, in the summer he kept the house door closed and opened vents he had built into it at ground level and at the top so he got a convection vent system going and it never got too hot in it he said. Sorry no pictures as this was back in the dark ages before cell phones.

I built one a long time ago. Used PVC for the frame and plastic sheeting for the roof and walls. It worked and lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. Cheap but nowhere near as pretty as the ones on this thread though.

Back
Top Bottom