• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else had this happen?

You're all missing the point. Since they DID call it in (apparently) and he DID NOT pass the vetting process, then it would be reasonable to conclude that his GWCL should be revoked or suspended until the situation is cleared up because he no longer qualifies for it.

If he filled the form out incorrectly because he "thought" they'd never call it in or verify, then shame on him for being reckless in completing a required form that he, by his signature, attested to the accuracy of.

You're all missing the point. Since they DID call it in (apparently) and he DID NOT pass the vetting process, then it would be reasonable to conclude that his GWCL should be revoked or suspended until the situation is cleared up because he no longer qualifies for it.

If he filled the form out incorrectly because he "thought" they'd never call it in or verify, then shame on him for being reckless in completing a required form that he, by his signature, attested to the accuracy of.
Or....he has a very common name and gets a hold based solely on that. I've seen it happen many time before. "Sorry, John Smith, I know you have a GWL, but the system needs time to find out which John Smith you are." Trust me, it happens a lot.

No, if he has a valid GWCL, it takes precedence over the form 4473 background check. That form is merely for paperwork/filing purposes for the dealer. I'm thinking uninformed/untrained Walmart employees, or the only other possible issue would be if OP's GWCL had been suspended.

From the GA Gun law website: Federal law does not require dealers to conduct a background check if a firearm purchaser presents a state permit to purchase or possess firearms that meets certain conditions.5 As a result, concealed weapons permit holders in Georgia are exempt from the federal background check requirement.6 (Note, however, that people who have become prohibited from possessing firearms may continue to hold state permits to purchase or permit firearms – and pass background checks – if the state fails to remove these permits in a timely fashion.)

I tried to purchase a gun this past Thursday at Walmart (I know... but it was a clearance model, great deal!) and according to the cashier/dept. manager I must have answered a question wrong on the 4473 form because she said I was denied or blocked and could not proceed. My Gwcl was presented so I am fairly certain it wasn't a background check issue. I didn't think too much of it and tried to purchase a different clearance gun at a different Walmart yesterday and after the form was submitted the salesperson said I was on a block list and couldn't proceed. Has anyone else experienced this and if so where do I start to resolve the issue?
Yep, my first handgun purchase went like this. Got a call from FBI , they had my ss number mixed up. Cleared it up over the phone and got a call from department store saying I could pick up my gun

No, if he has a valid GWCL, it takes precedence over the form 4473 background check. That form is merely for paperwork/filing purposes for the dealer. I'm thinking uninformed/untrained Walmart employees, or the only other possible issue would be if OP's GWCL had been suspended.

From the GA Gun law website: Federal law does not require dealers to conduct a background check if a firearm purchaser presents a state permit to purchase or possess firearms that meets certain conditions.5 As a result, concealed weapons permit holders in Georgia are exempt from the federal background check requirement.6 (Note, however, that people who have become prohibited from possessing firearms may continue to hold state permits to purchase or permit firearms – and pass background checks – if the state fails to remove these permits in a timely fashion.)
It's a store policy. Not a requirement of law.

They can ask you to hop on one foot and pay your head to buy a gun.. doesn't matter what state or federal law says.

It's a store policy. Not a requirement of law.

They can ask you to hop on one foot and pay your head to buy a gun.. doesn't matter what state or federal law says.
True, it was more in response to his post accusing the OP of making a mistake and that he should have his license revoked. I'm thinking it's more than likely a mistake on Walmart's end. But again, another reason not to buy a gun at Walmart.

Most likely a mistake on the application, but the employee could have messed something up.

No, if you have a valid GWCL then the application doesn't have to be submitted to NICS for a background check. The 4473 just has to be kept by the FFL to document the sale. I've never had to turn away a buyer with a current GWCL.
Exactly. It seems Walmart's policy is not reflective of the actual law.

When I posted, I didn't realize Walmart ran a check on ALL applications. I can only speak from my 2 years experience working at a different FFL.
I didn't know that either, until this post. It would definitely steer me away. I think Academy has the same policy.

Back
Top Bottom