• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody familiar with McGraw Ford WMA?

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
Recently moved to Woodstock, I noticed that McGraw Ford WMA is not too far from us. I thought it could be a place to take the kids to hunt squirrels in the next couple of weeks or dove hunting in September.
Yesterday however I drove to the area and I did not see any access point. I may have missed them but I only saw a couple of trails that were dead ending not far from the main road.

On GA372 out of Ball Ground there is designated parking area across form Conns Creek Road.
I believe you can also park adjacent to the new bridge over Etowah River.
There is another entrance (easily missed) accessed by Dodd Lane a little further down 372 after you cross river. You have to drive past some houses and it dead ends into WMA.

WMA.PNG
WMA 2.PNG

Ok. My son has been selected. :thumb:

It will be at Oconee WMA - Dan Denton Waterfowl Area Pond 3, two hunters quota hunt.

At this point I have few more questions. Dont lough too loudly, as I said this will be the first time.

A) Oconee WMA - Dan Denton Waterfowl Area, pond 3?
Is anybody familiar with that place? Is it shallow waters?

B) Waders?
I assume the taller the better, anything else I should know?

C) Shotgun?
My son has been using a 22” Charles Daly pump action, 20GA. His only experience with bird hunting is doves. He is very good at it, but I’m not sure it is the right gun for this hunt.
I can give him one of my 12GA’s, but he has never used them, and I don’t think we will have an opportunity for him to practice any time before the hunt so I tend to exclude that option.
Do you think the 22” 20GA would be ok?

D) Shots?
I know they must be steel. Other than that I know nothing about shot sizes.
By the way, the Charles Daly in theory can shoot 3” shells, however we have never tried them. I would rather stick with the 2”3/4.

E) Choke?
I’m not even sure about distances.

F) Hours?
I understand you can hunt until 12pm only.

G) How low can you shoot?
I think you cannot shoot a bird that is on the water. What about while it’s landing, very close to the surface.

H) Stamp?
Can it be purchased online?

I) Anything else I should absolutely know?

Thanks!
That shotgun would work fine. I would use #2s they work fine for wood ducks and big ducks. Yes you can shoot a duck on the water it is legal. Yes I would get yall some chest waders. I would also just stick with a modified choke. Most of the waterfowl areas around let you hunt from 30 minutes before sunrise until 12. You can got to the post office and buy a duck stamp for $25, if you buy it online it cost more.

Back
Top Bottom