• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody got a tuba?

ole ed

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
My granddaughter is in the fourth grade and started taking band and her instrument is a tuba. The things that logistic nightmare at the school so she leaves that one there and she needs something at home she can practice with that you won't have to tote back and forth. I'm just wondering if anybody has one if they'd like to let go or loan out until she's through with it. I don't know what I can afford I could possibly trade for something so let me know what you got. I don't know much about them I don't know if it's the kind that she uses so let's see what it is before we figure out what to do. She's an A B student that works hard but her parents can't afford a new tuba so hopefully somebody on Ott could lend us a hand thank you. Ed

Seriously, we had no idea how expensive being in the band was with our two.

Had to buy a saxophone and those aren't cheap! Luckily got most of the original purchase price out of it when we sold it a few years later.

She needs to be told to get a smaller instrument. Like, seriously. I'm guessing a tuba is not a cheap instrument to buy or rent...

Good luck. Sometimes children need a lesson in reality early in life.

Like, seriously. I'm guessing a tuba is not a cheap instrument to buy or rent...

The school will furnish a performance instrument.

She can get a playable practice tuba off e-bay for $400 or $500. Personally, I think the parents should rent any instrument until they find out if the child will stick with it. She should also discuss with the band director the possibility of practicing at school on a school horn.

Good luck. Sometimes children need a lesson in reality early in life.

I started playing the tuba in the 4th grade, and 60 years later I'm still playing it in a community band. Pray enlighten me on the reality lesson I missed out on. My reality is I learned a great skill that I could use to socialize all through high school, college, and on to today. And yes, it was a royal PITA to schlep it around.

I play along side a young lady who started playing tuba in the 7th grade, is the mother of 2 today, and she still plays in the same community band I do.

I play along side a young lady who started playing tuba in the 7th grade, is the mother of 2 today, and she still plays in the same community band I do.

OP is looking for a loaner/free tuba for his grand daughter. Maybe you can ask your friend Carol if she knows of any possibilities?

My son wants to drive when he's 16. Not gonna happen. I can't afford the insurance. I kinda see it as the same thing.

I truly hope she finds a sponsor/scholarship/something so she can pursue the instrument of her choice.

And I applaud the OP for putting it out there. Surely someone on ODT has connections that might be able to help, right?

We have a great community here. And connections in places that you can't imagine.

My first reply should have been more positive rather than negative. I stand corrected. Just feeling a little cynical tonight I guess...

Pawn shop, take someone who knows something about the instrument. Save yourself a bunch of driving and call the shops first. I lugged a trombone around for 8 years or so. Not too bad when in high school, but a real bitch as a fifth grader.

BOIL THE MOUTHPIECE BEFORE USING, OR BUY A NEW MOUTHPIECE.

As a father of two banditos I can say this I have never regretted spending money on either one of my children’s band pursuits. I had two all State players through middle school and high school who both wound up with very generous scholarships at a university. My oldest continued and is now a music teacher at a middle school and youngest is still hammering away at college. The Tuba you are looking for will be a concert tuba and they are inherently expensive. I bought all of my kids instruments used, most off craigslist. Trumpets are easy, Euphoniums not so much, it’s like a small tuba. There is a guy in an old house on Main Street in Kennesaw that does instrument repairs he probably could point you in the right direction, my son interned with him repairing instruments.

Back
Top Bottom