• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody hooch fishing

I am in for a slice of carp pie. LOL Just kidding! Heck they tell you not to eat over 3 serving of fish a week from all the mercury present in a lot of fish species. Heck you can't get much worse than that. Those are some monster stripper. Looks like a plethora of great game fish. I didn't know that so you have me convinced. I don't think I will grilling up any flat heads but might be game for trout up north of Helen.
So in GA the EPD gives 4 different guidelines,
1) No restrictions
2) 1 meal per week
3) 1 meal per month
4) Do not eat

Lets just say the fish / body of water is in Catagory #3 One meal per month. If you eat one meal per month 12 months out of the year. For the next 35 years. You would have no statistically higher risk of cancer. (Unless you are eating it off of a Dupont Teflon Pan from the 90's)

I am not trying to argue or change anyones mind. I definitely won't eat those big stripers or catfish. But I have eaten 100 pound wahoo that you could damn near see the mercury dripping off of.

If you eat fish, even store-bought fish you should at least read thru the guidelines. It is a pretty interesting read.

damn cap matt left me hangin. :pop2:
Sorry Brother, I had to go shoot pool in my 9-ball league.

From Buford down to Roswell Road, Hwy 9, it is primarily trout; stocker rainbows, and natural born browns. I have caught a hand full of spotted bass and a few yellow perch. There are some huge brown trout up to15-20 pounds. But you are only going to get a shot at one every blue moon. They have seen a ton of lures in their lifetime. They are mainly eating other trout. I am always amazed how little life there is up there, besides the trout. The otters and the whole ecosystem up there is based around those stocked trout.

In Bull Sluice, the bass fishing can be alright. But that place had gotten so silted in the last 15 years. Most of the "Lake" is just a very shallow sand flat. The bream, carp, gar, and catfish are there as well. But there are so many other places that are better to catch those species...

Assuming this was directed at me. Ever seen a green Gator Tail out there? It’s a 1754 and I’ve loaded it to the gunnels more times than I can count with tires, pallets, propane tanks, and all kinds of nastiness. Disposed of on my dime. And no one said its a real detriment to the fishery. Delacroix is like a landfill and rivals Venice in fishing. Filled up a 13 gallon trash bag this past weekend on a blueline stream In the mountains. I was 2 miles from a road. People suck and I have every right to complain.

I was not directing my comments at anyone. Thank you for helping clean up.

All people can suck. In my experience most of the time it's 5-10% of the people F--- it for everyone. From partying to politics it seems to be true...

Louisiana is the best fishing I have seen, it is the toilet of the bread basket and will always be. I absolutely love tuna fishing, that is why I go to Venice. From Largemouth bass to blue marlin, I don't know of any place that can rival Venice. I would live down there with my family if it wasn't such a S--- Hole. The schools are the worst in the nation, all the politicians go to prison. All they have is fishing, hunting, sports, and great food. Damn I need to go back...

Fishing in rivers and streams is all about flow. The Hooch Especially. I know I seem like captain obvious, but it cannot be understated. The hydro electric dams dictate everything. Just to be safe on the water you need to watch the dams and the water level.

Here is the Army corps of engineers Dam web site. It has pretty much all the big dams in the state. They will give you the next days schedule usually around noon to three pm.

Here is the Georgia Power dam release schedule.

Side note, as much as everyone including myself, likes to bag on the Corps of engineers for being Bureaucratic and unreliable. They are the gold standard compared to Georgia Power. GaPower doesn't even give you the next days projections, On top of that Morgan Falls has the worst information and is the most unpredictable of the Ga power dams. I could go on a quite the diatribe about it. It was originally built in 1904. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Falls_Dam.

So for us to figure out the unpredictability of the hydroelectric and rainfall the Army Corps has "Real Time Streamflow" gauges. They are updated every hour or two.

Back
Top Bottom