• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody in Georgia do front strap checkering?

Moss Firearms, LLC. All hand cut. Price depends on how the pistol will be finished after the checkering is cut. $125.00 for stainless guns. I put my web address in the previous comment.

Yep, you will be hearing from me soon. Not worried about finishing after. I will take care of that.

John Harrison sends his checkering work out to Pete Single.

I used to checker, but it's a royal PITA. Last one I did, John Harrison said, "That's as fine a piece of checkering as I've ever seen."

Last couple of 1911's that I had belonging to folks I knew that needed them checkered, I sent to the Springfield Armory Custom Shop. Got the 25lpi hand-cut checkering. Reasonable prices and quick turnaround. Around 2 weeks, IIRC. Sent one middle of last year, they did a great job on it, had them do the "high hand" frame cut as well.

image.jpg
Before you invest in checkering, try holding one with a nice stippling job. I prefer the feel to any checkering I have tried.
My raggedy old Gov't model doesn't slip around, even with the smooth grips. 'Course I've only been shooting her for 50+ years.

View attachment 1027098 Before you invest in checkering, try holding one with a nice stippling job. I prefer the feel to any checkering I have tried.
My raggedy old Gov't model doesn't slip around, even with the smooth grips. 'Course I've only been shooting her for 50+ years.

Very nice! Personally, I prefer stippling on my BHP's and checkering on my 1911's.

I did it to one of mine myself. Very tedious. Couldn't imagine trying to do it at a price that is affordable and where the guy doing the work makes any money.

If you find one, let me know. I have another one to get done as well, and I ain't touching it!

Thanx, that answers the question of whether I want to do mine myself.....I think not. I have ZERO patience for tedious stuff like that!

I found a comment from the owner of Alchemy Custom stating he had no idea how the SA Custom Shop could turn out such quality front strap checkering at the price they did it for.

Just for reference on the quality of that source for those who haven't heard of Alchemy, the owner is Rob Schauland , he worked for Les Baer and the Springfield Custom Shop before splitting off on his own. He knows a thing or two about custom 1911's. Unfortunately, Alchemy was bought out by Cabot last year and no longer exists.

I'm also amazed at the quality of the SAI Custom Shop's handcut checkering at that price and turnaround. They've never disappointed me.

Main reason I quit doing it was that I didn't feel it was worth the time it took me. I could only charge about $250 for it, but it felt like $500 worth of work!

Great guy here. Ottgunworks in Douglasville.

http://www.ottgunworks.com/

He royally screwed up the dovetail cuts on my 1911 slide, I would not trust him to checker. Pete single does awesome work, so does Evolution Armory in NH (they are awesome guys to talk to as well). I wouldn't be surprised to hear something about Alchemy making a comeback this year.

Yep, you will be hearing from me soon. Not worried about finishing after. I will take care of that.
I think the reason he specified is that a stainless or any other that will not be finished needs more work to look good compared to something that receives a coating that smooths out any tooling marks. BTW I have a dremel lying around somewhere and am happy to bubba it for you, you will need a super thick finish though, but I'm handy with a rattle-can :)

Back
Top Bottom