• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody in the Greater Atlanta Area reloading 10mm?

rjb84

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
22   0
Reaction score
I recently got a really good deal on a Glock 20, but buying ammo is not only expensive, but also just really hard to find. Needless to say, I finally have a reason to start reloading so I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on where to find reasonable prices on components or particular components that don't perform well.

After searching pretty much every store in Newnan and countless websites, I finally found some Privi 180 gr jhp for $18/box (even cheaper than I could find cci aluminum), so I've got my brass accounted for, and I have a friend with benefits (aka. a Dillon press). I still need a little bit of insight on some decent bullets, powder, primers, because I feel like the 10mm is a waste if it isn't running some decent ammo.

Thank you all!

I get my primers and powder from Smallwoods. He's is a local dealer here in Newnan. Keep the little in business. My bullets I order from midwayusa. Hey, weclome to the trader

I coughed up around $179 to Midway for a 1,000pcs of starline brass to get started. I have loaded the cases numerous times at range (plinkin ) strength with about 5.4 gns titegroup for a 180grn jacketed bullet. My tightest groups have come from Horandy 155grn XTP's with a max charge of titegroup. Probably, what I'll hunt with. There is alot of difference between the low powered loads and hot ones. Smallwoods Firearms keeps all the components you will need to get started except he might not have the dies. I am using Lee 4-die set with crimp on my Dillion 550. Hollar if I can help and leave the over max loads to the experts or dummies. I have stayed mostly with load data from Hogden. Hottest loads I have found data on use Accurate No.9.

paging ramroddoc to the white courtesty phone.. he'll be along shortly would be my guess. I am pretty sure he's reloading the 10mm. it's about the only "main" pistol caliber I don't reload for besides the 41 magnum. for bullets check out Zero, Ranier, Berry, Montana Gold, all of them should have good prices for 180gr bullets for the 10mm. if you have an aftermarket barrel (non glock) you can shoot lead as well, and many sources for that. pretty sure that most people that shoot 10mm all reload otherwise it would get $$ quickly. :)

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I needed. Where is this Smallwood's you speak of? I like to support the local guys too, not to mention shipping powder is hardly worth it w/hazmat fees and such.

There are a ton of bullet choices out there so I guess is just a matter of preference + trial and error. I'd heard Ranier and Hornady were good, but always like a little reassurance because I do like buying in bulk to save some $$.

I would buy brass directly from starline ($147/1K)- http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=ba7722239cfdb2d3c66ad599ce9e7c38. Too much 10mm has been downloaded to .40 S&W and whatever you find is really costly. God frowns on wimps! I load a 180 grain truncated FMJ around 1,200 FPS for hunting pig and the sort. Just for fun I picked up some 135 grain HP's that I'm working a load up that will hit about 1,500 FPS. I have been using a lot of Accurate Arms powders and use #5, #7 and #9 for 10mm. The #5 powder is a faster powder and is a bit more economical but when pushing heavy bullets I use the slower #9 due to peak pressures. The 10mm is bad azz for a semi-auto pistol as it is close to .357 magnum and who the heck wouldn't want 15 rounds of .357 magnum behind your booger picker. I'll be working on those 135 grain barn burner loads this weekend.

These two have good cheap FMJ bullets:
http://www.rozedist.com/
http://www.precisiondelta.com/index.php

The plated bullets are good for plinking but when putting the whip to them they will perform poorly (accuracy). Stick to FMJ and it will be all good.

For primers I use what ever is cheapest, Wolf is ok but some of my pistols find some of their primers a bit hard, I have had no issues with CCI, Federal etc. Also I wouldn't buy the magnum primers just get the standard and use in your other large pistol primer cases too.

Oh and welcome to the trader rjb84. There are a really good group of guys here.

Last edited:
Born in the old Newnan hospital my friend. I just had good family and friends that supported my shooting habit when I was a kid and now I have to try to figure stuff out on my own. Is Smallwoods the place off 16 around Raymond? I think someone was telling me about that place, but didn't remember how to get there.

Back
Top Bottom