• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody make homemade enchiladas verdes?

I use flour tortillas and cook my chicken in the crockpot with enchilada sauce and medium Verde sauce. Mixture is usually just chicken, cheese and Verde sauce.

My secret ingredient is a homemade bean dip that goes in each one. I don't fry mine before baking though, I might have to try that.
Mix the red and the green sauce together?

spent a few years in Albuquerque and my favorite local food was green chile chicken enchiladas with local Hatch green chile. Outstanding food.

The McDonalds and Wendy's had green chile cheeseburgers on the menu, another great taste treat.
I was in Tucson as a kid for a few months, best tamales I've ever had. They had tamale carts, like hot dog carts. The center of the tamale had a pepper in it (can't remember what kind)

Mix the red and the green sauce together?
What?! NO!!! There is green enchilada sauce in a can (admittedly I never looked to see what difference is from regular verde sauce) but I mix green enchilada sauce and verde in crock pot. For all I know, I'm just mixing verde with a different brand of verde.

I used flour tortillas the first time I made this and they were alright, I didn't fry them either. But the leftovers i took for lunch were soggy so I had to unwrap them and throw the shells out.

I took the corn tortilla version to lunch the next day and they weren't soggy but they weren't as crispy as when fresh. Still very good though. But tastes wise, the corn ones were a lot better to me.

I would have added the verdes sauce to the chicken filling like you did but my wife doesn't like anything spicy. She also eats her steak well done, so there's that

I used flour tortillas the first time I made this and they were alright, I didn't fry them either. But the leftovers i took for lunch were soggy so I had to unwrap them and throw the shells out.

I took the corn tortilla version to lunch the next day and they weren't soggy but they weren't as crispy as when fresh. Still very good though. But tastes wise, the corn ones were a lot better to me.

I would have added the verdes sauce to the chicken filling like you did but my wife doesn't like anything spicy. She also eats her steak well done, so there's that :rofl:
Well, I cheat and use store bought sauce rather than attempting to make my own and possibly not liking it. The mild isn't really spicy at all, but the medium isn't bad either. I'd prefer it to be spicier, but my girlfriend would probably complain.

I've had the same issue with soggy tortillas with the leftovers. I've started letting them bake for a little while before adding sauce and cheese on top, I forgot about that earlier. Helps crisp them up a bit, without the extra step and oil of frying them first.

Back
Top Bottom