• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody reloading 50 BMG??

I bought a Lee press, dies, etc., back in 2010 when I traded into a M99. I intended to reload but never got around to it. I bought pulled & sized bullets, have lots of brass, a 1,000 primers but no powder (specifically for this application).

I don't even like shooting it (makes my sinuses hurt) so I just buy XM33 when on sale and had bought a bunch of surplus Argy ammo @ $2.00 per round. I bring it out and let other folks shoot it, just don't care for it myself.

I bought a Lee press, dies, etc., back in 2010 when I traded into a M99. I intended to reload but never got around to it. I bought pulled & sized bullets, have lots of brass, a 1,000 primers but no powder (specifically for this application).

I don't even like shooting it (makes my sinuses hurt) so I just buy XM33 when on sale and had bought a bunch of surplus Argy ammo @ $2.00 per round. I bring it out and let other folks shoot it, just don't care for it myself.
I noticed that when shooting mine if I'm not wearing safety glasses my eyes and sinuses feel like they're about to explode if you're wearing glasses it's not so bad

SLOW, CAUTION, SAFETY, SLOW, CAUTION, SAFETY.......................
Exactly!!!!! I've seen catastrophic failures caused by bad reloads in AR'S and handguns, not pretty.....But what would happen if a 50bmg had a catastrophic failure?....I wouldn't even want to be in the same zip code! That's A LOT of pressure.

If you do get into reloading 50bmg, I suggest getting a couple of extra decapping pins for your die...those military crimps around the primer are really in there.

I would also suggest getting a carbide chamfer head from RCBS, like the one that would replace the steel chamfer head on the RCBS Case Prep Mate. You can do two things with the carbide head...chamfer of course and remove the crimps in the primer pocked. Just don't get too carried away with the primer pocked. I bought the actual 50bmg crimp remover for my Case Prep Mate and it didn't cut as good and the machine itself doesn't have enough power in my opinion. So I just chuck the carbide chamfer in a drill and lightly clamp it in a bench vise and use the trigger lock and go to town.

Also, if you decide to go all out and buy a Dillon, their sizing die doesn't cam over on the shell holder like a RCBS, so I would HIGHLY suggest getting a case gauge .

Back
Top Bottom