• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody willing to take a newb out deer hunting for a day?

sog

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Ok, here's the scoop. I got into guns as a matter of protection, a couple of years ago, after a buddy was killed by some thugs. I'm mostly into handguns, but I've also come to own a shotgun and an AR. I'm a decent shot, having done a fair amount of IDPA, and more recently, 3-gun shooting in competition. I desperately want to go hunting this season and take a deer, but basically I don't know the first thing about it.

I'm not looking for a trophy or anything, and I'd be totally comfortable with just taking a doe or a spike. I just figure it'd be alot of fun, and I can put some food on the table for cheap, and learn some practical skills in the meantime.

I'm 24 years old.

My dad lives a long way away, doesn't get much vacation, and never makes it down to GA. No one I know hunts. Most of the people I know are anti-gun folks. :mad:

I know that I can get onto WMA land (for free?), but I'm not sure I could ever track down a deer on my own, and even if I could I don't really know how to clean one.

Is anyone here willing to take a guy hunting and show him the ropes a bit? I'll drive to meet wherever.

(Yes, I realize none of my guns are ideal for deer hunting. I'd love to take a deer with my 1911, or slugs with my shotgun, or I can pick up a cheapish gun for hunting if necessary).

go sit near this sign ......lotsa deer there ..lol

i52.tinypic.com_28tkhag.jpg

I too was a first generation hunter, NO ONE in my family or that I personally knew hunted. They weren't opposed to it, just no one did.

Here are some little pointers for ya.

1) If you shoot a deer properly you wont have to track it. I have killed probably 50+ deer since I started hunting (I'm right at your age) and have never had a SINGLE one run more than 10 yards, most drop where they were standing.

2) Your shotgun with slugs or your AR with proper ammo and shot placement is more than adequate. DO NOT let people try and convince you YOU HAVE to have some huge .300 win mag or something . I have hunted with AR's almost exclusively the past 3 years and have taken 6 deer all one shot kills, all dropped where they were at.

3) WMA's can be a great source of property, but BE CAREFUL there are a TON of idiots out there.

4) You don't have to learn how to clean a deer right off the bat if you don't want to. Most deer processors will charge like an extra 10-15 bucks to clean it for you. I do this sometimes If I am in a hurry or just don't feel like fooling with it.

5) Always remember (Especially when hunting alone) It may be great to get way back in the woods, way off the trail to get the deer your after, but that deer once dead doesn't walk its self back to your truck, they are heavy, and awkward to carry by yourself. It can be done, I always do myself but at times I wish I had someone else to help out....Usually on the deer if they are not really bloody I will fireman's carry them back, once you get them up on your shoulders its not that bad

6) Don't buy into the whole sent control crap...Its wasted money. Just don't go out covered in cologne or Axe or whatever you use, and PLAY THE WIND....
I can not emphasize this enough WIND IS EVERYTHING...

7) Camo is not really necessary, doesn't hurt but is not a must. Deer are color blind and they pick up more on shapes, outlines and movements, They CAN however see some of the florescent dies used in some washing detergents...

8) Game calls- Some can use them with great effectiveness, while other people using the same exact call will run deer off...Its one of those things thats great if you REALLY know how to use it, but does more harm if you don't really know how to utilize it effectively.

9) Game scents- In my experience these just flat out WORK.....And easy and cheap way to place the sents out without making yourself smell like it is to do this.
You will need the following:
*Old plastic film canisters (or something similar)
* Wicks or some medium (I like to use the wicks from walmart meant for lanterns 99c for a decent sized pack)
* Paper clips

Take the paper clips and go ahead and stab one end through the wick and bent it so it holds it tightly, then take the other end and form a hook to use to hang on tree limbs
Roll the wick up and place it in the canister making sure the paper clip's "hook end is up and the lid can close. Pour a small amount of the desired attractant in the container directly on top of the wick, or whatever medium you chose. Seal the lid shut immediately!

Then when you go out all you have to do is pop the lid grab the "hook" and hook it on a tree limb where it will have plenty of cross flow wind, go too your observation point and LISTEN SMELL and watch! I emphasize listen cause you will 90% of the time either hear or smell the deer before they become visual.

There is so much more you will learn as you go, by trial and error, but hopefully this will help some.

Good luck to ya!

4) You don't have to learn how to clean a deer right off the bat if you don't want to. Most deer processors will charge like an extra 10-15 bucks to clean it for you. I do this sometimes If I am in a hurry or just don't feel like fooling with it.

5) Always remember (Especially when hunting alone) It may be great to get way back in the woods, way off the trail to get the deer your after, but that deer once dead doesn't walk its self back to your truck, they are heavy, and awkward to carry by yourself. It can be done, I always do myself but at times I wish I had someone else to help out....Usually on the deer if they are not really bloody I will fireman's carry them back, once you get them up on your shoulders its not that bad

4. Really, you don't clean it right away and get it in the cooler? Yuk!

5.Probably not the smartest thing to do. Throw a deer on your shoulders to carry out of the woods, so other hunters can shoot at your azz.

5.Probably not the smartest thing to do. Throw a deer on your shoulders to carry out of the woods, so other hunters can shoot at your azz.

Note to self: NEVER hunt with olchevy :lol:
Seriously chevy why would you throw a bloody ass deer on your back instead of drag it?

I don't think 30 minutes is really going to make a big deal...lol....

I hunt on our own families private property and even my neighbor and I ALWAYS keep in touch to let each other know where we are going to be....It's essentially only us two ever out here, no one else.

And to the other guy about the bloody deer...lol...I said if its not all bloody, sometimes they are sometimes they're not really bloody at all. I drag some...Oh and NO DEER go near my body in rut! Those Tarsals stink to high heaven...

Back
Top Bottom