• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone actually ever used their BUIS?

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
All my general purpose carbines use some sort of optics with a good set of BUIS, but I’ll honestly say that other than the initial sight in, and then shooting them now and again to check the dope or when changing ammo, I’ve never used the BUIS. So, I’ve used them but I’ve never HAD to use them.

I’ve had classes, especially Combat Carbine Teamwork and STRESS, where I force some of the students to use their BUIS. I’ve had a few instances over the decades where students running cheaper/less dependable optics have had to use their BUIS. Not to be a snob, but I run top-end optics and have never had such issues.

Anyone here ever HAD to go to their BUIS? If so, please tell me with some detail what forced you to do so.

Semper Fi!

Never had to in a real world situation, but I train with them a lot more now than I used to. I switched all my AR types to 45 degree offset a while back and they get a good workout anytime I'm running the weapon. One of my drills is switching between sights with alternating shots. The only problem I have is that the stock has a tendency to yank my beard hair out as I rotate the weapon. OUCH!

I had to at work about 3 years ago. I grabbed the ar out of the trunk and the eotech 512 I had on it would not come on. After everything was done i looked at the batteries and one had corroded a tiny bit I whipped the tip of the battery off and it worked fine. I normally at least keep my front sight flipped up all the time.

Back
Top Bottom