• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone actually USE their weapon in civilian SD?

I was one just like you :) my two wives both were (still are) and I know all of us would have had the "common sense" (those two words again) and compassion to remove the brain matter before handing a piece of evidence back to a family member. The family is not the SOB whom took their own lives, they are the survivors that have to deal with it, they don't deserve the additional kick in the ass.

(I will keep going just to see if it's possible for you to stop:) )

You can keep being wrong all you like.

Keep your 1911, EDC a Glock. That way if anything like that happened, well, you won't miss your Glock. And if you do, pretty easy to get another one. (if you don't like Glock get an M&P like you said in your OP).

Why do they take your gun anyway? Seems redundant.

Anyway, just woke up from a dream where a crazy old lady was shooting at people and all I had was a revolver with a bent barrel. Does that count?

You were dreaming about inability to perform.

Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg

Actually I am correct and you are defending "lazy government workers" lol

I'm not defending them, but I don't expect much from them.

The property counter is a human run vending machine. If you have the proper paperwork out pops your property….assuming it is not lost or the vending machine is on break….or talking to her boyfriend…..or having a really bad day…or it is after 4:30.

Wow I was not expecting to wake up to 4 pages of replies, thanks to all who responded!Any way I think I should clarify something...If I were to find myself in a situation where I needed to draw my weapon, and for some reason the only weapon I had was a platinum 1911 Forged by JMB himself in the fires of Mordor lubricated with reverse albino unicorn tears and shot bullets made of the sum total of my bank account converted to lead I would still not hesitate to use it to protect myself or my family. I suppose I shouldn't be worried about the Polices taking my gun after an SD scenario but it is in the back of my head.

As far as the situation with the person killing themselves that is just a horrible thing. I don't fault the Polices for not cleaning it as it really isn't their job, but I do question why anyone would want to go pick that weapon up after what it was used for rather than just letting it be melted down.

Of course this is the kind of thing I think about when I am not in a civilian combat situation. These kinds of consideration would fly out the window were an actual SD scenario to pop up, but non-stressed leisure time usually affords me too much time to over-think things. I'm still on the fence as to what to do. An M&P 45 would get the job done, but by comparison it is a spray and pray weapon to my DW. I will not buy a Glock as I don't think it's worth the $420 I could get one for and for some reason I can't seem to hit the broad side of Saturn with one. They are not bad guns by any means but they just don't work for me. I could almost buy 3 M&P 45s for the price of the DW, but I think the DW is well more than 3 times better. For what it's worth, I spend most of my time in Cobb County, Kennesaw to be exact.That's no indication of where a potential SD scenario would happen, but it is where I am most often. I suppose the real question is should I carry what I WANT to carry and hope I never have to use it ( and potentially get it taken away), or carry what will get the job done and hope to never use it.

Last edited:
That does bring up an interesting point.

If you have to use your weapon in the rain, what pile of rusted crap do you get back?

What rusted crap, my glock has been rained on many times, hot with a water hose on full blast and wasn't cleaned Til last weekend (glock was rained on, super soaked, and garden hosed in the summer)
Long as my ammo ain't wet I'm good.

I had a gun taken out of my car by Miami PD after an accident, I was cut out of the car and transported to the hospital for a wonderful 3 month stay. My wife went and picked up the gun about 2 weeks later, they did test fire it to see if it had been used in a crime but other then that it was in the same condition, this was back in 1981. I carry guns that I feel comfortable with and know their reliability, sometimes it is a Glock sometimes it is a 1911 but I could give a rat's butt if it is taken after I have defended my life or a loved one, its only a tool and life is more important. If you place a value on "things" more then life reflection time is needed.

Back
Top Bottom