• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone build a deck before? Advice needed.

CZ Fan

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
128   0
Reaction score
I'm going to build a small deck outside. Nothing fancy, maybe the size of 16x18'. 1 feet high. Just something to sit on under an umbrella and enjoy BBQ'ing with my wife.

I've never built one before, so any tips on building the base, pattern, type of material, anything, would be appreciated.

EDIT: I built something, lol...
20160529_145128.jpg

1' high? Why? That's self inflicted maintenance. Build a patio instead.
I have a decent sized two level deck I designed. Maintenance sucks!
You could build it out of synthetic but it'll triple your cost.
Ok, so maybe 2'? I have a flat backyard not feasible to build it higher without it looking goofy against the house.

I replaced an old wood deck with a composite one and I really like it. The low maintenance factor makes the extra expense worth it to me in the long run. I thought I would miss the look of real wood but I do not. The undermount fastening system was worth the extra $ as well, not having the screws exposed is a very nice clean look.

16' x 18' is pretty big, but if you're going to do it go big! We have a 14 x 14 stone patio that is plenty big for a grill and table. Best of luck to you. I wish I could do stuff like that but I'm a DIY failure. I'd pay someone to build mine. And yeah, do you have a basement? If not, just level it out and do a stone patio. Pavers are cheap.

Back
Top Bottom