• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone cast Lead Soldiers and Cannons?

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
When I was much younger I got a lead casting outfit for Christmas and it came with 2 sets of molds, an electric furnace, ladle and about 2 pounds of lead. I melted that stuff, cast a bunch of soldiers, cleaned off the sprue and painted them up and had a blast doing it. Lately I've had the urge to do it again. Now that stuff is a lot more expensive. I've won a few molds off ebay, but I still need ladle and something to melt with. Any of the electric ones they are selling are older than dirt and probably not going to work and even if they did I'm not sure I'd be willing to plug one in. So, maybe make a holder for my propane torch and set the ladle above it and I'm sure it would melt pretty quick. Then I've got to get a good source for lead (can't go to the service station and borrow wheel weights like I used to be able to). Every place that has lead for sale wants more than it cost to ship it/mail it.

So, that's where I am at with a new hobby. I'm also looking at some molds to cast some balls for my black powder pistols.

You might look at the Lyman 4lb electric pot. It may work for melting and pouring the lead into the molds. Midway, Amazon, Cabelas and other's have them.
You can probably find ladles and other casting equipment there too.

I have a buddy that does this -sets up entire lines of battle with lead soldiers he casts and paints.

I cast jigs.

Good soft lead is getting hard to find because so much is recycled, and harder alloys get thrown in the mix.

You will find that a lot of people selling "soft lead" don't know what they are talking about, as far as they are concerned, all lead is soft.

Here is about the cheapest way to get into casting, $30, will last a lifetime. Any open flame, I started out using a camp stove. Of go to a thrift store and get a hot plate.

Then for about $10 a ladle, https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISIO...5,B001QUVTIA,B09GPYS63M,B001QUXCMQ,B08SKSKKF4

I like this one because it is cleaner and more controllable,

I wish I could source you on the lead, but the environmentalists have about eliminated virgin lead in the USA, unless you buy it commercially, If you can get hooked up with an x-ray lab, In a pinch soft lead shot will work. A 25 lb bag will go a long way.

I have a buddy that does this -sets up entire lines of battle with lead soldiers he casts and paints.

I cast jigs.

Good soft lead is getting hard to find because so much is recycled, and harder alloys get thrown in the mix.

You will find that a lot of people selling "soft lead" don't know what they are talking about, as far as they are concerned, all lead is soft.

Here is about the cheapest way to get into casting, $30, will last a lifetime. Any open flame, I started out using a camp stove. Of go to a thrift store and get a hot plate.

Then for about $10 a ladle, https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-LP90026-Lead-Ladle/dp/B000LN12Y4/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=lead+pouring+ladle&qid=1638150749&qsid=131-9275605-7377029&sr=8-8&sres=B0084EGN0K,B001QUZ87I,B001QUZ8YG,B01KP1IRY4,B001QUZ86O,B00I3PLG48,B000LN12Y4,B001OPLJUU,B000BPCWIW,B082N6ZB63,B002QG3H9M,B000MLAWHS,B004XZGUSE,B08SK6LFRH,B00SRGPELO,B075Y37WS5,B001QUVTIA,B09GPYS63M,B001QUXCMQ,B08SKSKKF4

I like this one because it is cleaner and more controllable,

I wish I could source you on the lead, but the environmentalists have about eliminated virgin lead in the USA, unless you buy it commercially, If you can get hooked up with an x-ray lab, In a pinch soft lead shot will work. A 25 lb bag will go a long way.
Thanks much for your reply. I haven't found the right heat source yet but pretty sure I may make a stand for a small propane torch with a stand about it for the ladle. I've got 5 or 6 molds for World War II soldiers either here or on the way from Ebay. Last set has a military working dog and I can't wait to start casting those.

Haven't found a good source of lead yet but working on it. I am also planning on casting balls for my black powder pistols, one in .36 and the other in .44 Having a hard time finding caps for them too.

Take care and hope to see you at the ODT Christmas Party on the 11th.

When I was much younger I got a lead casting outfit for Christmas and it came with 2 sets of molds, an electric furnace, ladle and about 2 pounds of lead. I melted that stuff, cast a bunch of soldiers, cleaned off the sprue and painted them up and had a blast doing it. Lately I've had the urge to do it again. Now that stuff is a lot more expensive. I've won a few molds off ebay, but I still need ladle and something to melt with. Any of the electric ones they are selling are older than dirt and probably not going to work and even if they did I'm not sure I'd be willing to plug one in. So, maybe make a holder for my propane torch and set the ladle above it and I'm sure it would melt pretty quick. Then I've got to get a good source for lead (can't go to the service station and borrow wheel weights like I used to be able to). Every place that has lead for sale wants more than it cost to ship it/mail it.

So, that's where I am at with a new hobby. I'm also looking at some molds to cast some balls for my black powder pistols.
I
Thanks much for your reply. I haven't found the right heat source yet but pretty sure I may make a stand for a small propane torch with a stand about it for the ladle. I've got 5 or 6 molds for World War II soldiers either here or on the way from Ebay. Last set has a military working dog and I can't wait to start casting those.

Haven't found a good source of lead yet but working on it. I am also planning on casting balls for my black powder pistols, one in .36 and the other in .44 Having a hard time finding caps for them too.

i have lead, and a smelter..lots of lead, I have a mold for round balls but I’m not sure what caliber, your welcome to come over and cast some and see, I also have a variety of diff caliber pistol and riffle molds, at any rate I think I have what your looking for..text me up we can talk 678-488-5553

Propane torch will work, just gets a little spendy.

What I use for powder coating.

Way back in the day, I used charcoal grill. Works well melting, will maintain temp, just hard to control temp.

If that's the way you want to go, check out some pawn shops, Cl for a propane campstove, because even if you address the torch holder, you are going to have to support whatever pot you end up using.

Back
Top Bottom