• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone climb Mt Kilimanjaro? In December?

Marietta tony

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
121   0
Reaction score
Daughter going back to Africa for another mission trip. She has signed up for another 10 days to climb Kilimanjaro which is on her bucket list. Being she just turned 21 (and applied for her carry permit) and wants to, I am all for it. There will come a day when she is married with children and not able to be on these adventure's.

Has anyone done it? We just dropped $300 for boots and realize this is the tip of what is to be done. Might be able to borrow a pack and 0* sleeping bag. Seems that rain is prevalent this time of year CitizenK CitizenK want a Zhik pic at the summit . Is she going to need the extreme cold gear?

Will want all constructive information and take the rest as it is ODT.

Congrats on her for the mission. My daughter has done med missions to Honduras, Belize, and doing one this winter to Panama. Get her a lifestraw for drinking water. Can’t comment on climbing gear over there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best I can provide is a checklist for hiking 1 14000 foot peak here in CO....

Mt. K is a 19000 foot peak so I'm sure it will be much more demanding

Here's something useful...

When I was there people were running the damn thing….lol
its a bad one for altitude sickness ,so slow and steady is your pal! What cone is she going up? There are 3, and there are several paths to take. you said soon, if she goes in November like I did it rained like a SOB. I was over there TDY and a a few weeks to kill.

Daughter going back to Africa for another mission trip. She has signed up for another 10 days to climb Kilimanjaro which is on her bucket list. Being she just turned 21 (and applied for her carry permit) and wants to, I am all for it. There will come a day when she is married with children and not able to be on these adventure's.

Has anyone done it? We just dropped $300 for boots and realize this is the tip of what is to be done. Might be able to borrow a pack and 0* sleeping bag. Seems that rain is prevalent this time of year CitizenK CitizenK want a Zhik pic at the summit . Is she going to need the extreme cold gear?

Altitude sickness sucks donkey butt. I would try to talk her out of it but kids they want what the heart wants.
Tell her to take pictures if she does it. I would love to see it from a distance. ;)

That is awesome and what an experience it will be. Oh to be young again. Prayers for a safe journey.

Back
Top Bottom