• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone convert a closet into a gun closet/vault?

derek81

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
49   0
Reaction score
Been kicking around the idea of converting a small closet into a gun storage room. Obviously replacing the door with something heavier and a better locking mechanism is a must but what else should I take into consideration?

In my mind safes/vaults preform 2 functions. 1 keeping the firearms secure obviously. And 2) climate control. The climate control (preservation of the firearm) is my main interest in a safe. That being said there needs to be a lot more than just a secure door for a closet to be a good safe/vault.

Added a 5'x16' closet to my office and put a nice sized gun safe in it during the remodel.... Power outlet and recessed lighting, then a bunch of heavy shelving and a keypad lock for the closet door.... Then I filled it up with all of my old clothes and shoes. I don't own any guns, just wanted to be prepared in case I ever did.

Once had a place with a safe sized alcove between 2 doorways. Put a hinged "wall" to block it off. With concealed hinges and latch i never had anyone think it was anything but a wall.

Back
Top Bottom