• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone do any fossil hunting?

jeff8600

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
27   0
Reaction score
I have been hunting for sometime now and have a few places I go for different fossils. I try to focus on trilobites. If anyone would like do some fossil hunting lets do it!

check the foothills in north west georgia where the blueridge begins. And the hills are compressed and contracted. Went up there to some old coal mines with my Geology group when I was a geology major. PLENTY of trilobites and simple plants pressed in slate. That's when a piece of Africa slammed into the US and uplifted and made the Appalachian mountains and the mountains in Alabama. Thats why the terrain is so different from below the blueridge, and on the other side of the blueridge.

Subscribed. Would love to find a place and go. I've picked up some on the side of a cut slate bank on a north ga or North Carolina road one time like mkdhotrod mentioned but now I don't remember where.
It was a fairly busy road. We need to reach out to a College Geology professor. They could prob point us in a right direction.

When I was a kid, my dad bought a metric **** ton of what he said was "Pea-Gravel".
It was little bitty stones from a lake bed someplace I think. Lots of pebbles made of sedimentary stone.
Anyway, this stuff had all kinds of fossils in it. There were some that had trilobite like features and some that seemed to be parts of plants.

I was a big fan of Roy Chapman Andrews back then and had this idea that I could be a paleontologist digging up dinosaurs in the Gobi Desert.

Back
Top Bottom