• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else starting to get the itch to fish?!

I'm already going through all my tackle and gear. Oiling up the reels, reorganizing tackle boxes, changing the lines on the reels out, cleaning the rods, etc... etc.

I think I'm getting a dry suit for my birthday in a few days and that opens up early striper fishing from the yak for me. I'm also pumped about my annual week at Amelia Island in May. I'm going to take my Surf Fishing to a new level this year.

I found a good Trout fishing spot from the yak last year and there are also Flounder in that same area. I'll be hitting that hard, too.

I'm going to try and find at least one really good spot every year. If I can, in a few years I'll have a different hot spot to hit every day of the week I'm there. I'm also trying to time the Pompano run. I missed it by about a week last year.
I'm done man. It may be years before I fish again. Sold the boat and not having any interest in getting another one and I refuse to bank fish unless it is for catfish.

I'm done man. It may be years before I fish again. Sold the boat and not having any interest in getting another one and I refuse to bank fish unless it is for catfish.
Get a good kayak and rig it right. I got rid of my big boat many years ago and don't really miss it. Fishing from a yak in big water is more challenging, but that's part of the fun. Hook a big striper and go for a ride! There's also a lot of good saltwater fishing from them. You just need to pay attention to tidal flow.

Also, my "bank" fishing is surf fishing. The third most epic fight I've had with a fish was in the surf two years ago. 20lb rig and it took about 700 yards of line and me chasing it along the beach and into the surf. It was on for about 35 or 45 minutes before it finally cut the leader. I had another big hook up just a few minutes before, but that one cut a 50lb fluorocarbon leader after only about 5 minutes. I've gone to coated wire leaders since then.

The point is, I'm not dealing with all the hassles of a big boat anymore and still doing some good fishing.

My most epic battle was also from the shore in the tail-race of a damn. Caught a 43lb striper on 14lb test line.

Get a good kayak and rig it right. I got rid of my big boat many years ago and don't really miss it. Fishing from a yak in big water is more challenging, but that's part of the fun. Hook a big striper and go for a ride! There's also a lot of good saltwater fishing from them. You just need to pay attention to tidal flow.

Also, my "bank" fishing is surf fishing. The third most epic fight I've had with a fish was in the surf two years ago. 20lb rig and it took about 700 yards of line and me chasing it along the beach and into the surf. It was on for about 35 or 45 minutes before it finally cut the leader. I had another big hook up just a few minutes before, but that one cut a 50lb fluorocarbon leader after only about 5 minutes. I've gone to coated wire leaders since then.

The point is, I'm not dealing with all the hassles of a big boat anymore and still doing some good fishing.

My most epic battle was also from the shore in the tail-race of a damn. Caught a 43lb striper on 14lb test line.
Sounds like a plan. :)

Sucks I only caught two, because I really wanted to eat 3...
20190215_185826.jpg

Back
Top Bottom