• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else think there is something wrong with commercial chickens being grown from chicks to fryer size in 7 weeks?

Why not buy free range organic chicken instead? Problem solved, no? You guys probably pay for the best oil and tires for your vehicles but put garbage food in your own bodies for some reason.
"Free range" usually means there's a small cage outside the house and a small doorway the chicken can go through, should it choose to step outside, away from all the free food.

"Organic" used to mean something, but then the FDA got involved in determining what "organic" meant, and it's not what most people think. It's "factory 'organic'".

But yes, we Americans tend to eat junk.

"This food is good for you, it says so on the box"
"If it comes in a box, it ain't good for you."

Almost all modern broilers can trace their lineage back to a few birds. They were selectively bred to create flocks that grow fast and tender. That's one of the reasons modern chickens grow so big so fast. The chickens also get high calorie corn based food, and don't move around much in a very tightly controlled environment.

Once the chickens arrive at the plant they will be processed at about 185 birds per minute, per line.

Poultry is among the most efficient animals at converting feed into meat, making it on of the most cost effective because of this efficiency. Some fish are more efficient, but harder to raise. Because of that poultry is expected to grow as the world population grows and consumes more protein.

Also, "antibiotic Free" only means the chicken are not fed a blend of antibiotics in their diet, just in case. They can be given antibiotics if there is some disease going through the flock.

As a grower myself this is one of the only comments that is truthful. Genetics and quality feed make the chicken grow not anything else. We have 30 houses. I was raised in the poultry industry and have seen every end of it. Nothing disgraceful or harmful happens . Support your local farmer, hope everyone here that has birds of their own knows what AI is and does their best with bio security as it’s been found in multiple buzzards in NE GA. Stay safe change your shoes before going anywhere away from home before we have a real epidemic .

My MIL would cook sometimes and as she served it up boasted about how BIG the chicken breasts were and how proud she was of the dish and the deal she got on the meat. My wife looked at me immediately with SHUTUP eyes because she knew what I was about to say.

I have been to a few processing plants. It’s disgusting and depressing. The monster that is commercial food processing is a really bad kept secret. There is a reason why there aren’t any plants in the middle of a city and they usually in rural areas...nothing to see here.

There is something to be said about children growing at unusual rates over the past 40 years. My wife said she started her period at age 8. We have an 8yo and waiting any minute. She is starting to fill out and I’m just like this ain’t right. When I was 10 or so and hell, even in middle school, GIRLS DIDNT LOOK LIKE THEY DO NOW.

Part of it is the over sexualization of young women these days with music and media but to get to my point…the Modern American Diet is the leading cause of heart disease, obesity, cancer and abnormalities. Period.
yeah, when you look at a 12 year old girl who eats nothing but chicken nuggets and has tits the size of watermelons you have to factor growth hormone in something she's ingesting .

Back
Top Bottom