• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever converted your standard household electric water heater to solar power?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I have a standard 40 gallon water heater and I'm looking to see how hard it is to convert it to solar? If you did it how did you do it? Was there a kit to buy and whose solar panels did you use?

I can build most anything.

Check out YouTube. There are a ton of videos for DIY solar water heater builds. Learn from everyone else’s mistakes.

My bust... I reread your thread. Water heater electric to solar, water heater is probably 240 v, 15 ~ 20 amps. You’ll need an inverter, lots of battery and several solar panels. I’m not smart enough to tell you what size inverter, how many batteries or how many solar panels.

Do away with the electrical portion and use pool heater solar panels and a pump. Just use it as a storage tank.
CFFE131B-6D8A-4ED3-AF8D-2BB961340B46.png

Nah… cold showers. Sounded good till you posted that. Lol…
seriously, friend of mine had his roof covered with those panels to heat his pool. They did a helluva job too. But, he did have a backup electric heater.
I’d love to have solar water and some voltaic panels for electricity .

I just ain’t paying $60k for it .
All your doing , even with all the tax credits , is prepaying your next 25 years utility bills , with borrowed money .

I did have to take down two large trees and now have some good southern exposure on the roof .
Might look into it one day .

Back
Top Bottom