• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever fish lake hiwassee in NC?

I've fished it, actually prefer the Hiawassee River on the TN side for trout fishing. If you put in near Reliance, TN it's an amazing float. Too far up near the dam and there are some serious shoals/rapids to deal with. PM me and happy to send you coordinates. Have a blast! It is gorgeous up there this time of year.

We are up here now, never seen a more beautiful lake in my life, fish not biting though.
Any advice?
I've fished it, actually prefer the Hiawassee River on the TN side for trout fishing. If you put in near Reliance, TN it's an amazing float. Too far up near the dam and there are some serious shoals/rapids to deal with. PM me and happy to send you coordinates. Have a blast! It is gorgeous up there this time of year.

No advice on the fishing but if it gets that bad, take the the family over to Etowah and ride the Hiawassee Loop train. It follows the river from Reliance all the way up the mountain and you can see the lake from the top where it stops.

Second the train ride idea! Absolutely gorgeous!!

I guess that's why they don't call it "catching". I hope y'all's luck turns through the weekend!

The north end where Beaverdam and Mocassin creek come in are usually loaded with small mouth and striper. There should be plenty of water up through there in the little coves and cuts. With as much rain as we have had, it's probably a little different than in years past where the water was well below pool.

When that happens, I start "throwing the junk" at them i.e. get the biggest brightest ugliest lures you've got and jerk and run them like crazy after you let them sit for a second post-cast. I'd be throwing at the banks and trying to pull them up from the bottoms and deep cuts as long as there is water. Good Luck! A skunked day on the lake beats a full day of most anything else!

Back
Top Bottom