• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever fix the electric meter?

You should call a licensed electrician.

Chris at Veteran's Electric is good and services your area.

If you are going to try and do the repair yourself:

You'll need to call "Drop Line Services" (877) 506-3910.
Schedule them to cut the power. It will kill you and burn your house down.
You can re-attach the meterbase to the wall and have them reconnect the power same day.
As long as you are not messing with the wire connections inside the box, you will not need to pull a permit and have an inspection.

Dangerous, but not difficult to do.

Photos added. Most likely going to call an electrician unless I have power shut off and put the screws in myself.

Attachments

• 213CDB5D-A7DF-4F90-8A8F-7F5E4BF56AB5.jpeg
    213CDB5D-A7DF-4F90-8A8F-7F5E4BF56AB5.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 65
  • F9D8DF1F-5943-4973-9B47-527318F2116B.jpeg
    F9D8DF1F-5943-4973-9B47-527318F2116B.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 724970D9-0443-46F7-85DD-34B6B59D92CA.jpeg
    724970D9-0443-46F7-85DD-34B6B59D92CA.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 65
Looks like your toggle would've done fine if they'd put it in right. It must not have popped open on original install. That or just find a stud somewhere on that box. Big enough to avoid any hot SE cables.

Similar situation a few years back. Tree limb fell on powerline between house and pole, pulled the meter completely off the exterior wall. Cost me around $1000 for an electrician to repair, he did call the elect company and had the power turned off during repair/reattachment.

Photos added. Most likely going to call an electrician unless I have power shut off and put the screws in myself.
Does your house have an underlayment plywood sheath under the siding? I know my house has it all over. The way that top toggle is pulled up on the screw so close to the box it looks like they just attached it to the siding and the siding broke.

Does your house have an underlayment plywood sheath under the siding? I know my house has it all over. The way that top toggle is pulled up on the screw so close to the box it looks like they just attached it to the siding and the siding broke.
I don’t believe so but I haven’t looked that carefully. It looks like they just put toggled into the siding. I’m going to take a better look over the weekend. If I can find stud nearby I’ll probably put a piece of thin hardwood or pressure treated something (as thin as possible) and then I have something to drill and screw into.

If I get that good, then I might call the power company, do the shutoff and put 2 new screws in. If it was an electrical issue I’d gladly call and electrician. This just pisses me off because it’s 2 screws and bad installation work by whomever installed it.

I don’t believe so but I haven’t looked that carefully. It looks like they just put toggled into the siding. I’m going to take a better look over the weekend. If I can find stud nearby I’ll probably put a piece of thin hardwood or pressure treated something (as thin as possible) and then I have something to drill and screw into.

If I get that good, then I might call the power company, do the shutoff and put 2 new screws in. If it was an electrical issue I’d gladly call and electrician. This just pisses me off because it’s 2 screws and bad installation work by whomever installed it.
It's surprisingly common.

We've seen all sorts of meterbases fall off walls for various reasons. There's a "looks good from my house" approach that I've heard way too many times. It's grounds for immediate dismal from my company.

For what its worth. I knew an electrician who had to rewire his house prior to selling it. When he built the house he put a sub panel before the meter to run the heating and cooling off the juice coming into the house before the meter…
When I was a mere yout, I worked as an electrician's helper. We worked some of the low income housing in Atlanta. We routine found one leg of the service that had been wired ahead of the meter.

What was surprising, most of them were well done - jacklegs making some dough on the side bootlegging electricity.

Ooops. I thought I replied to my old post. Replied to someone that mentioned my post. I’ll copy it here.

Update, quotes for electricians were between $400-$1000 and turn the power off.

Had the idea that the box with the meter is so big and there was a double wall lip around the top where the screws went through anyway. Its nowhere near the wiring or the panel inside.

Bought a pack of stainless corner braces from Home Depot and some real short self tapping stainless screws. Under $7 drilled 2 holes in each side. Had anchors to put in siding. A little crooked as it was tough to maneuver with one anchor still partially in the bottom of the box. Might level it tomorrow if I feel inspired.

It’s behind the bushes and a myrtle. Paint and caulk and be done with it. Once it’s painted I doubt anyone will ever notice unless they read it on ODT.

All good and safe. Thanks to all for help and suggestions.

Attachments

• 70683499270__F764F14B-5EB1-4E40-AFE4-D5E42943C573.jpeg
    70683499270__F764F14B-5EB1-4E40-AFE4-D5E42943C573.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 70683502153__F8149991-2921-46B0-AF75-6D005583361C.jpeg
    70683502153__F8149991-2921-46B0-AF75-6D005583361C.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom