• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever had a primer go off while seating?

I was at a guy's house when he set one off once- but he was leaving on the press handle with everything he had.

After the fact, we saw that the primer got flipped sideways in the cup.

I was about half way through saying "something is wrong" when it went off.

On another forum a guy had one go off on a RCBS hand primer and it chain reactioned the rest. His face is cut up bad. That is why I like my lee safety prime.

Last edited:
We had this discussion today. I have a friend that took a claw hammer to some primers but they wouldnt go off. I think the anvil needs a proper strike not just a smashing of the primer....?

Finally had one go off after 30 years of loading and 100,000 plus rounds. It was a military crimped brass and the primer flipped in the cup. Louder than what I thought it would be.

Had a sliver of brass from some military brass that made it into the primeing assembly on my old RCBS press.
Went to seat the primer and it went off.
Shot a flame out of the old 30-06 case up through the die hole in the press and made alot of noise.
Switched over to a RCBS bench mounted primeing tool and never had it happen again.
Always checking my Dillon 550 to ensure nothing gets in the primer cup.

Tom

I have had several Federal small primers go off loading 223. I don't mind it though as I'm using military brass and I like the snug fit that I get with minimal reaming of the crimp. IT DOES MAKE ME JUMP EVERY TIME!

What???? LOL

Here is the story
image.jpgimage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom