• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever had a primer go off while seating?

I've been reloading several years now...but I have never had a primer go off while priming. I use a Lee hand primer. My turret has the attachment for priming on the press, but I left it in the box. I just prefer to hand prime...that way I know it is seated correctly.

I was at a friend's house when he dropped a Federal primer and it went off when it hit the floor. That was scary enough...

Glad you are OK...

It may look stupid but, i always wear safety glasses,rubber gloves,and ear protection any time i reload.the gloves are there so i dont leave any fingerprints on my stuff that will tarnish later.it sucks when you have a batch of special ammo you devised for hunting that sits in a box for two years that when opened has black fingerprints on it. i might also add i wear rubber gloves everytime i shoot or even handle any gun i own,maybe im too anal with my stuff but i like them in perfect condition.

I had one go off when I first started reloading many years ago. It was a Lee loader that required you to "tap" the primer into the case. This was before Lee made a priming tool.

Since then I have loaded many,many thousands of primers without any incident. I have used the Lee Primer trays, RCBS tubes and seated with a Rock Chucker single stage press and lately on a Lee Classic Turret and seating primers on the press. I usually use Federal primers which are supposed to be the softest.

I have smashed them sideways and really pressed them in hard in some brass like S&B that has pretty tight pockets.Never a problem.

you haven't lived till you see a whole stack of primers go off in a progressive..Somehow my dad did it using an old C&H inline progressive for
38 specials..pretty darn loud as there were around 50 primers still in the tube

the primer rod was stuck in the basement plywood ceiling.........

he was only a bit embarrassed.... the primer feed tube had a steel outside wall like the Dillons of today so no one was hurt

I never had any issues with my Star or Dillon progressives over thousands of rounds

can't believe a primer went off just by dropping it on the floor. bet we all haved done that one

I certainly have crushed primers that misfeed into press and never say one go off

Back
Top Bottom