• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone got a good recipe for buttermilk biscuits?

Hey OP drewga11 drewga11 Just wondering if you ever found a good recipe? Ever since you posted this, I've been trying different stuff cuz now I want some scratch made biscuits. And *I* have to make them cuz no one else in this house is gonna try...

Anyway, I adjusted the White Lily recipe. I used about 1/2 cup of shortening and cut it with a fork into 2 cups of White Lily flour. Stirred in about 3/4 cup of buttermilk. I had to add a little bit of flour bc it was a touch thin and sticky. Got the dough mixture right and made 10 biscuits out of it. Put them on the baking sheet and preheated the oven to 500 degrees. I did not knead or roll the dough. Just dropped with my fingers.

While the biscuits sit, they dry out just a little on the outside. So you can touch them and they don't stick to your fingers. So I shaped them and made them a little more round and pulled them up a little to make them taller and even across the top.

Baked for 8 minutes flat with a regular non-convection oven. I think I could even take them out at 7 minutes...the bottoms aren't burnt at all.

This is a pretty good biscuit and I'm just an amateur lol. I think real lard would put these over the top. The only other change I'm thinking about is possibly adding a little bit of salt to the mix.

20170503_165133.jpg
20170503_164741.jpg
20170503_164546.jpg

Hey OP drewga11 drewga11 Just wondering if you ever found a good recipe? Ever since you posted this, I've been trying different stuff cuz now I want some scratch made biscuits. And *I* have to make them cuz no one else in this house is gonna try...

Anyway, I adjusted the White Lily recipe. I used about 1/2 cup of shortening and cut it with a fork into 2 cups of White Lily flour. Stirred in about 3/4 cup of buttermilk. I had to add a little bit of flour bc it was a touch thin and sticky. Got the dough mixture right and made 10 biscuits out of it. Put them on the baking sheet and preheated the oven to 500 degrees. I did not knead or roll the dough. Just dropped with my fingers.

While the biscuits sit, they dry out just a little on the outside. So you can touch them and they don't stick to your fingers. So I shaped them and made them a little more round and pulled them up a little to make them taller and even across the top.

Baked for 8 minutes flat with a regular non-convection oven. I think I could even take them out at 7 minutes...the bottoms aren't burnt at all.

This is a pretty good biscuit and I'm just an amateur lol. I think real lard would put these over the top. The only other change I'm thinking about is possibly adding a little bit of salt to the mix.

View attachment 1158929 View attachment 1158930 View attachment 1158931

Yea I tried the recipe palmettomoon palmettomoon posted a couple of times. The first time I didn't use enough milk and the dough wasnt sticky enough, so even though they tasted ok, they were really dry and crumbly. The second time i used buttermilk instead of whole milk and used more of it. That time the biscuits turned out really moist and soft on the inside, but still crunchier on the outside than I really wanted. They did taste pretty good though, think I may just need to take them out of the oven sooner or something. Not really sure what temp to use on the oven for best results.

350 degrees F. Th first grandchild dubbed mom's biscuits "Grandma's crumbly biscuits." Lol. Let sit a day the halve and bake for 10 min at 350 and you're in heaven.

Not a recipe per se:

...A minister was attending a men’s breakfast. He asked one of the older farmers in attendance to say the prayer that morning. The farmer began,

“Lord, I hate buttermilk.”

The pastor opened one eye and wondered to himself where this was going.

Then the farmer said, “Lord, I hate lard.”

Now the pastor was worried. But the farmer prayed on, “And Lord, you know I don’t care much for raw flour. ”

As the pastor was about to stop everything the farmer continued,

“But Lord, when you mix ‘em all together and bake ‘em, I do love me those fresh biscuits. So Lord, when things come up we don’t like, when life gets hard, when we just don’t understand what you are saying to us, we just need to relax and wait ‘til You are done fixin’ and probably it will be something even better than biscuits.”

Yea I tried the recipe palmettomoon palmettomoon posted a couple of times. The first time I didn't use enough milk and the dough wasnt sticky enough, so even though they tasted ok, they were really dry and crumbly. The second time i used buttermilk instead of whole milk and used more of it. That time the biscuits turned out really moist and soft on the inside, but still crunchier on the outside than I really wanted. They did taste pretty good though, think I may just need to take them out of the oven sooner or something. Not really sure what temp to use on the oven for best results.

I gotcha. I'm gonna keep playing around with it. I was surprised that the recipe called for 500 degrees but it actually worked well. But I may play with the temp and size of the biscuits also...

Since I didn't post any pics in my instructions in post #7, I thought that I'd make up for it tonight. I made these following the instructions I posted.
Before going into the oven:
biscuits1.jpg

After baking:
biscuits2.jpg

Attachments

• biscuits2.jpg
    biscuits2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 7
It's all in practicing and learning the feel of the dough. If you want firmer, tougher biscuits for sopping up syrup or filling with ham, sausage, etc, you need to work more flour into the dough. For lighter more delicate biscuits, knead the dough less and don't incorporate too much flour.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom