• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone got a good recipe for buttermilk biscuits?

I've worked on my biscuits for over 20 years trying to perfect them. I have used butter, lard, Crisco, mayonase. I have rolled them, dropped them. patted them, used butter milk, regular milk and canned milk. I never ever got a great biscuit until I found the secret. Any normal method will do, don't over knead, but the secret is to chill your flour, and buttermilk, get them as cold as you can, use frozen butter cut on with a cheese grater, then cooled again after you grate it. Mix it all up and bake. The cold frozen butter is the key.

IMG_20170516_062714691.jpg

I just wanted to add this variation to biscuits. Notice the cheese oozing out of a couple of these biscuits. A chunk of cheddar is added when making each individual biscuit.

When I was growing up, my granddad had a 22' mullet boat at our house in Panama City. Any time we could, we'd go down there to go fishing. My grandma would make up a bunch of these cheesy biscuits and we'd eat them with a piece of sausage and cane syrup for breakfast. These things kept me from starving to death many a day. My grandpa would stay out on "Crooked Island Sound" until we were all exhausted. I still miss those days.

Back
Top Bottom