• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone had any experience with LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph

No but I have almost bought that thing about 5 times this year already. It's just a matter of time. I want one pretty bad, just need to pull the trigger. They were $100 off around the Holidays and I hesitated a bit too long.

Early models had issues getting the sensitivity right for suppressed fire and I've heard mixed reviews when used indoors or on a public range with other shooters. If you buy one let us know how it goes!

This discussion came up yesterday in Dublin at Twin Oaks Range. They host world class benchrest shooting events. Many shooters have gone to radar. Knowing what these guys spend on gear and loading? They would not be using them if they weren't accurate.

I so wanted to pull the trigger at the NRA show but,,, I already have an Ohler that will chrono shotshell and the lab radar cannot.
Everything I am reading says the set up is very technical, which could be poorly written instructions.
If you use it all the time this would not be an issue, but how much can you remember if you only use once every 3 or 4 months.

Reviews also state there are challanges at certian velocities.
That was it! The muzzle had to be right next to the unit for low velocity projectiles.
Review was in Dec 2016 hand loader magazine.

We've had one for about a year now....
Only way to go....

Attachments

• IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 16
My dad got one recently. It's very easy to use if you read the instructions; I get the impression some of the negative reviews were from folks who didn't read said instructions (over on enosforums). You do need to wait a second between shots, otherwise you get the velocity of the first shot displayed twice. However, if this happens it's easy to delete that particular shot, so your SD calculations aren't messed up for that string. I'd possible you'll have to fiddle with aiming it at the target down range a little bit, but it's pretty darn easy to use. If you are working up lots of loads routinely it's probably worth it. If you want an occasional muzzle velocity, there cheaper traditional options that should suffice.

Hmmm... there's another guy on here who said he and several other folks at Riverbend were having huge problems with each of theirs... that they couldn't get good readings off guns with muzzle brakes, even trying to shield them from the blast. I've been lusting after one of them myself, but his story gave me pause. Would love to hear more stories. I too have read good reviews from sources I trust... but I'm now suspicious.

Seems like the right solution though! The optical ones are finicky about lighting, don't work indoors, easy to accidentally shoot, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom