• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone had to replace their engine oil filter-cooler housing on a Jeep

Grub Master

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
102   0
Reaction score
Got home for a trip to town in my 2017 JK the other day when it was in single digits here in Jasper, to find a puddle of oil on the driveway. Researched it and looks Iike the plastic oil filler housing is leaking. It either cracked or the cheap o rings have failed. Checked with the dealer and they want $1450 to replace it. Seems to be an ongoing issue with the 3.6 motor. Anyone have any experience getting this replaced? The Mopar part is plastic and there is a metal upgrade. Not sure what to use.
1672254699066.jpeg

My bet is with it being that cold, both plastic and metal parts shrunk as they normally due when it's that cold. With you driving around and buildup of internal engine pressure and oil pressure it caused the leak. And especially there at the filter housing. I would try and clean the area really well and now with the temps back above freezing. Place a pan or cardboard underneath and let it run for a while and see if it still leaks.
But I will add that if you do have it replaced, go with the updated metal version. Hence why its a metal upgrade from the original plastic one. They seen problems with the plastic ones after heat transfer from the engine and hot oil. Just like leaving plastic out in the sun here in GA 🤣.

I have done 6 in the last month with another scheduled for next week. They have all gotten old enough the plastic is warping and not sealing. The Dorman metal upgrade unit is unavailable at any source I normally use. The Standard Products version is good. Chrysler vans are pretty quick to do, Jeeps suck.

I have done 6 in the last month with another scheduled for next week. They have all gotten old enough the plastic is warping and not sealing. The Dorman metal upgrade unit is unavailable at any source I normally use. The Standard Products version is good. Chrysler vans are pretty quick to do, Jeeps suck.
Wish I could let you do it but I’m in Jasper. The dealership claims the new ones are an upgrade And I’ll probably go with one. Going to sell the Jeep soon anyway.

Back
Top Bottom