• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ANYONE HAVE A FIXD

mtnsmith

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
70   0
Reaction score
A FIXD is a device that plugs into your auto computer like an OBD II reader does and is advertised to tell you more than and OBD II reader does. Supposedly more details about the auto's problem if it has one. Just wondering if it was worth anything. Ad says it was invented by Ga Tech students.

ODB II records standard codes from various sensors. Some manufacturers record extensions to the ODB standards, (or have their own).

Who knows what they're claiming or accessing.

A FIXD is a device that plugs into your auto computer like an OBD II reader does and is advertised to tell you more than and OBD II reader does. Supposedly more details about the auto's problem if it has one. Just wondering if it was worth anything. Ad says it was invented by Ga Tech students.

It's just a bluetooth ODB II reader tied to a database through your phone. Many options out there that do the same thing. Anywhere from $20 on up.

I did a lot of research on them after I watched one used to set up a guys Jeep..I picked up the Vgate it supports all OBDII off Amazon. I just need to purchase the app on line for my cell and haven't had a chance to try it..But I was very impressed with it ability to reprogram a onboard car computer. They are great bang for your buck and app. is inexpensive as well.This is the App he used
http://jscan.net/

elm.jpg

Sounds like one of these. Allows wifi connection to your car's computer with a smart phone or computer and works with programs like Torque and many others.

They sell for under 15 bucks and work well. You can even get rid of your dash gauges and instruments and run this through a tablet with a little programming. Shows way more than the parts store readers.

I did a lot of research on them after I watched one used to set up a guys Jeep..I picked up the Vgate it supports all OBDII off Amazon. I just need to purchase the app on line for my cell and haven't had a chance to try it..But I was very impressed with it ability to reprogram a onboard car computer. They are great bang for your buck and app. is inexpensive as well.This is the App he used
http://jscan.net/

So, it can do more than the standard OBDII reader. I have an OBDII reader, but haven't used it that much. I had read in a Haynes repair manual that a lot of the problems with a lot of these later engines is that the sensor is bad or in the case of the sensors on exhaust pipes, forgot what they are called, are just dirty. Found that the case on my sons '99 Pathfinder that had four of these sensors, sprayed with a cleaner and cleared problem. And those things aren't cheap. Computers aren't 100% reliable. That is why the fly-by-wire Airbuses have 3 computers, one watching the other two in case they don't agree and then compare with third and then check out the one that does not agree. But then here again, computers only do what they are programed to do and programmers can't think of all the possible situations that might arrive, a la 737 Max. Thanks for your info.

View attachment 2337940

Sounds like one of these. Allows wifi connection to your car's computer with a smart phone or computer and works with programs like Torque and many others.

They sell for under 15 bucks and work well. You can even get rid of your dash gauges and instruments and run this through a tablet with a little programming. Shows way more than the parts store readers.

Well it is advertised to give you more detailed infor than the standard OBDII reader as well as an estimate of cost to fix the problem. Supposedly more than a connection to your cell phone.

Back
Top Bottom