• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone have a great .40 hard cast load?

jimhrnr

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
35   0
Reaction score
Please let me know what powder and charge you use when loading .40.
I've only used WSF and Universal. Just tried the Universal today, very smokey!
I use hard cast bullets, 155 and 180g. Wanting an accurate load to shoot IDPA with.
Shooting an XDm 4.5

Thanks,

Jim

I've had good luck with Solo 1000 in both 9mm and .45 and lead bullets. Vita Vhouri powders are supposedly pretty good powders for lead loads, but they can be a little more pricey and harder to find.

Titegroup is NOT a good choice as it smokes really bad.

Howdy Jim,
Most loads with cast bullets are going to smoke things up. Lead = Smoke. As long as it burns efficiently, gives good load density, and fantabulous accuracy, the smoke will dissipate. Longshot and Accurate #7 for full power, the Universal for target velocity.

I am running bullseye 5.0 gr for full power and 3.7 on my steel target loads. anything under 3.6 will not cycle the action, or will not on my fnx40 anyway

Howdy Jim,
Most loads with cast bullets are going to smoke things up. Lead = Smoke. As long as it burns efficiently, gives good load density, and fantabulous accuracy, the smoke will dissipate. Longshot and Accurate #7 for full power, the Universal for target velocity.

X2 on the Universal: Meters well, fills the case really well and IMHO almost impossible to overload!

Back
Top Bottom