• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone have a super short Ruger

Anyone have any experience with a super short Ruger? I would love some input before starting a smilar project.

I had a 6" tapered cut down to 3" so I could shoot all my bulk HV subsonic and use my SV in my rifles. I suppose you could go shorter but I didn't want to chance cycling issues. (Not that I'm aware of any or know what length might cause them)

It runs great and I clean my stuff regularly so I don't notice any more fowling than normal. The Burris FFIII is awesome and mounted as low as possible on a Burris mount which utilizes the dovetail.

Shorty MKII.jpg

Suppressed MKII.jpg

I had a 6" tapered cut down to 3" so I could shoot all my bulk HV subsonic and use my SV in my rifles. I suppose you could go shorter but I didn't want to chance cycling issues. (Not that I'm aware of any or know what length might cause them)

It runs great and I clean my stuff regularly so I don't notice any more fowling than normal. The Burris FFIII is awesome and mounted as low as possible on a Burris mount which utilizes the dovetail.

View attachment 1849818

View attachment 1849828

What is the length that HV goes supersonic? My 4.4" lite keeps Federal Automatch subsonic.

What is the length that HV goes supersonic? My 4.4" lite keeps Federal Automatch subsonic.

Not sure exactly but I've read beyond 5" to 5.5" allows enough burn time.
My two other factory 4.5" barrels do well with the bulk stuff too but I do notice slight sound differences between manufacture as muzzle velocities vary quite a bit.
Also wanted to add that I notice no considerable accuracy difference with the 3". Grant it I'm only shooting plates at normal pistol distances....

That 15-22 looks sweet and like lots of fun!

Sorry OP if we hi-jacked your thread but I did post some pics of my short Ruger!

I’m getting ready to do this as well. I’ve got a mk III 22/45 bull barrel non threaded
Thinking about having it cut with an inch and a half of barrel/rifleing . Any suggestions or recommendations? It’s being done tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom