• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone have experience with the Wilcox RAPTAR Lite or Dbal A4?

JeepAdventure247

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
234   0
Reaction score
Just picked up a sweet PVS14 3rd gen and now its time for the IR module.

I'm definitely set on a unit with a built in white light.

Are there any other options out there besides the 2 in the title?

Anybody got experience with either of these units?

Just out of curiosity why do you want the integrated white light?
Just picked up a sweet PVS14 3rd gen and now its time for the IR module.

I'm definitely set on a unit with a built in white light.

Are there any other options out there besides the 2 in the title?

Anybody got experience with either of these units?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A separate, dedicated white light just seems like it adds too much stuff to the front of the gun.
I also want a visible light option in case I don't have my PVS 14 with me. Perhaps a bump in the night night situation and there isn't time to throw on the head mount but still need to navigate and identify.

I have a MK12 mod 1 clone which has tons of rail space on it but I'm just trying to avoid a zoo of crap bolted on the front.
It's already got a lot going on out there:
Back up iron sight
Sling mount
Harris bipod
Broomhandle foregrip
Currently, a surefire m951 and it's pressure pad
And of course the Knights Armament rail covers

Another device just seems ridiculous when it can be built in

What are your thoughts

The white light is needed, just wondered why you needed the integrated unit. You can offset a scout light and use a cable management system and eliminate a lot of clutter up front.
(PEQ-15) ATPIAL-C with Railscale PEQ front sight and scout on 45 degree
or
BE Meyers MAWL with scout tucked underneath.
I prefer to have the two separated as you will upgrade your light/lumens much more often than your laser and if one goes down and out for repair, you don't lose both.
No experience with the RAPTAR Light but I remember being highly disappointed that the "Lite" version replaced a range finder with a white light. And the DBAL's just don't tend to hold zero under the conditions that the PEQ and MAWL will.

Skip the RAPTAR. The white light and IR illuminator are abysmal by current standards. The A4 has a much better illuminator, but the whole package is bulky.

For an IR system, I always want something that has a single button for IR illum and laser, and I want a really good illuminator. Most Class 1 laser illuminators stink compared to their respective restricted models, aside from the MAWL and the DBAL D2. The D2 is really big though as well. The MAWL is the best thing going right now by a mile. Small package too.

The best set up right now in my opinion is a MAWL and the SF M600DF tucked underneath. The MAWL has an illuminator that competes with restricted units. And the M600DF will light your world up when you need it. If I want light (IR or visible) I want LIGHT.

Since I have a MK12 clone, I was looking for something a little more box-like because a MK12 would have originally had a PEQ2. That's I guess the only reason why I'm a little standoffish from the mawl.

Quiet Riot Firearms Quiet Riot Firearms what are your thoughts on the new peq15s I guess atpial is what they call it now.

No integrated IR laser illuminator with built in white light that you recommend then?

Since I have a MK12 clone, I was looking for something a little more box-like because a MK12 would have originally had a PEQ2. That's I guess the only reason why I'm a little standoffish from the mawl.

Quiet Riot Firearms Quiet Riot Firearms what are your thoughts on the new peq15s I guess atpial is what they call it now.

No integrated IR laser illuminator with built in white light that you recommend then?
Full power (restricted) PEQ's are awesome, ATPIAL-C's are not as good as the civilian MAWL.

Full power (restricted) PEQ's are awesome, ATPIAL-C's are not as good as the civilian MAWL.

^^^ what he said
I've played with full power lasers, MAWLs, ATPIAL-C's, and C1 DBALs. That is also the order of how well their illuminators work. And the gap between a MAWL and a ATPIAL C is very large. In dark areas, positively ID'ing stuff past 150 yards can be very difficult with a ATPIAL-C. I run one on one of my guns. That said, they are the best option in a normal sized boxed laser in the ~$1100 range. I leave the D2 out of that group because it is so large. It has a really good illuminator though.

I would recommend separating white and IR modules. There is no great do all option out right now in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom