• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here buy stocks?

This forum is the last place I would come for advice....

If you want some open an IRA account with Vanguard and trade in Vanguard funds, preferably total market index VTSMX good place to start. Vanguard has the lowest fees, which will eat you alive if you aren't careful. Doing this will allow you to get your feet wet and feel a little more comfortable on the operations of an account etc.

Research bogleheads...

Any online service (eTrade, ScotTrade, etc...) is easy to set up an account and trade.
Do not put one dollar more into individual stocks than your are willing to lose every single cent of. That should be "play/gambling" money only.

Agreed. My gun buying is slowing down, not too much out there I want or need so I want to spend a little money investing. I used to sell cars with a guy that did penny stocks in the early 2000s and always thought it might be cool to try out.

Look at fidelity and vanguard, both have advantages and disadvantages. Fidelity is much easier to use as a brokerage account. You can set up a Roth or conventional Ira in both as well as brokerage account. Some of vanguard funds are closed to new guys (those are the ones you want). Just remember if you trade in a brokerage account you can incur capital gains ( if your lucky)

I usually am a reader and not a writer, but here it goes...

I buy and sell stocks (mostly buy) in E-Trade. I have land also, and rental houses, and PM's....
Try to do a lot of research and don't get in a hurry. There's always good deals(stocks and land) out there. Just tough finding them (and realizing it before the other guy) and having the guts to pull the trigger when you think you've found one. In my experience, you often make your money more on the PURCHASE of land and stocks, not just the sale.
Diversify!! And do something with your money that you can make more money and have fun doing it.
Well, it's worked for me, but I might be lucky.

Have fun.

I usually am a reader and not a writer, but here it goes...

I buy and sell stocks (mostly buy) in E-Trade. I have land also, and rental houses, and PM's....
Try to do a lot of research and don't get in a hurry. There's always good deals(stocks and land) out there. Just tough finding them (and realizing it before the other guy) and having the guts to pull the trigger when you think you've found one. In my experience, you often make your money more on the PURCHASE of land and stocks, not just the sale.
Diversify!! And do something with your money that you can make more money and have fun doing it.
Well, it's worked for me, but I might be lucky.

Have fun.

Thanks for your post. Thats what I'm trying to do. I'm still young, mid 30s, make decent money and I've finally gotten myself into a position where I can start making some moves beyond the 401K. I'm already planning on buying land and my wife has been discussing buying a cheap house to rent out perhaps in Paulding, not sure I want to be a landlord though, I barely want to fix anything in my own house. LOL

Back
Top Bottom