• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here buy stocks?

Picking individual stocks is almost like gambling unless your warren Buffett. Instead, open up an account at vanguard to purchase index mutual funds. You can literally buy a piece of the entire stock market with one fund and just buy as much as you want as you go. The account is free, buying and selling is free, it's easy.

When it comes to investing, always go simple and easy. Statistically, you will come out ahead over time by buying the market rather than timing the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with the index funds....only 20% of professionals beat the S&P, BUT wait until the next crash - stocks are at least 50% overvalued now relative to the underlying economy.

Yeah, kind of like opening a checking account and you pull from that money deposited. I use Fidelity, $7.95 a trade. I think they have a special that you get no fees on your 1st transaction, upto so many shares. I use the app and desktop to do all my trades. Pretty easy to use.

Agree. Decent platform and easy to use with low fees.

At these levels? Are you kidding me? Stocks are more overvalued now than any time in history. For example, the S&P has risen 75% since 1.1.12. In that same time frame, S&P earnings have risen 2%. Do yourself a favor and buy physical PMs, while they are still beaten down.

The PM crowd is usually wrong. Don't get me wrong, gold has a large place in my portfolio but unless the scenario is significant inflation you will miss out on return.

Picking individual stocks is almost like gambling unless your warren Buffett. Instead, open up an account at vanguard to purchase index mutual funds. You can literally buy a piece of the entire stock market with one fund and just buy as much as you want as you go. The account is free, buying and selling is free, it's easy.

When it comes to investing, always go simple and easy. Statistically, you will come out ahead over time by buying the market rather than timing the market.

Great advice all the way around.

This forum is the last place I would come for advice....

If you want some open an IRA account with Vanguard and trade in Vanguard funds, preferably total market index VTSMX good place to start. Vanguard has the lowest fees, which will eat you alive if you aren't careful. Doing this will allow you to get your feet wet and feel a little more comfortable on the operations of an account etc.

Research bogleheads...

More good advice. Bogleheads are great, but MrMoneyMustache is probably the simplest way to show you can actually achieve complete financial freedom even on a modest income.

Try to do a lot of research and don't get in a hurry. There's always good deals(stocks and land) out there. Just tough finding them (and realizing it before the other guy) and having the guts to pull the trigger when you think you've found one. In my experience, you often make your money more on the PURCHASE of land and stocks, not just the sale.

More good advice. Your biggest enemy in investing is not other investors, it's you. "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful" - Warren Buffet. But nearly impossible to do without nerves of steel. Dollar cost averaging is the second best, with yearly rebalance.

I do not trade, I do invest...
I use Interactive Brokers....
Between $2 - $5 a trade

IBs whole platform is a real PITA to use, with zero customer service. It's cheap for an active trader but not worth the 10 bucks a year you might save using Fidelity.

Max out your 401k if you have a company match, if not put max in a Roth, then 401 then Ira. Land is a good investment for the right price. If you do a Roth go vanguard Wellington and wellsely fund. Retired at 54, eh what do I know.(never looked back and no regrets)

Always take the free money from an employer antime you can.

Your savings rate completely dwarfs your investment return, make sure you have that squared away first.

If you want to come down to Vinings I will buy you a beer and we can discuss in depth. I am not selling financial advice or anything else. Just want to help as I have been helped.

At these levels? Are you kidding me? Stocks are more overvalued now than any time in history. For example, the S&P has risen 75% since 1.1.12. In that same time frame, S&P earnings have risen 2%. Do yourself a favor and buy physical PMs, while they are still beaten down.

A little hyperbolic, but with some basis in truth. Stocks have been valued much higher many times by many metrics, maybe only highest now in P/S, not P/E or EBITDA/EV or P/E. They could crash tomorrow, or continue there run up to P/E's in the 40s like in the late 90's.

Future expected returns are much lower at these valuations, and I could not argue with having a heavy emerging market tilt within your equity allocation.

C2jNZWqWEAMRrbE.jpg

Go talk to a professional

It's nearly impossible for someone outside the game to predetermine who is choosing the best items for the client, versus who is biased toward their own income. And even with the repeal of the fiduciary rule Trump just signed, it is nearly impossible for the small guy to get good advice.
If good advice was easily available at the retail level, things like variable annuities wouldn't even exist.

Wes Gray, Marine combat vet with PhD in Economics from UChicago under Nobel Laureate Eugene Fama:

Look again. Aug 2016 Gold 1360. Today fixing 1210. Silver 21, today 17
You are obviously cherry-picking your data, since you quoted the high last year. I'll say it again: Both are up for 2017 YTD, and both are ahead of stocks. Do your homework.

Back
Top Bottom