• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here have a Sprinter van?

CostaRicaBound

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
I've decided it's best for my business to have a Sprinter van. I've rented the Dodge Ram Promaster, the Ford Transit and driven the Sprinter and hands down I like the Sprinter best. Does anyone here have one, and can you tell me what your thoughts are on it? Did you buy it new or used? Are they comfortable on long drives? What are your peeves about it?

StuP, what problems did you have with them? And, by running a fleet, perhaps were some of the issues caused by the vans' drivers who drove them like they didn't have to pay for them?

I had one and it left me stranded multiple times. 2006 I believe it was and lost both fuels pumps at different times. EGR valve, transmission TCM, low power from CAC hoses, alternator, and ate brakes like I’ve never seen a vehicle do.
Both tail light assemblies and a glow plug controller. Not cheap to maintain but maybe they are better now but I doubt it.
Forgot to mention it finally bit the dust around 90K went it developed an oil in the coolant issue, good luck!

I bought a new 2016 Sprinter and I love it. It gets 23mpg on the highway, you can drive it all day long and not be tired. I only have about 21k miles on it right now. It has had a few small warranty concerns, rear a/c leaking water inside, check engine light for a communication problem between the computers. Have had 2 oil changes so far, been doing them every 7500 miles. It pulls trailers fine and has moved a house full from Michigan to Georgia.

I have a 2016 I bought new from RBM in Alpharetta. We love it, and use it for family travel. We also get about 23 mpg on the highway. We have the 2.1 4 cylinder turbo diesel with about 24k on it at the moment. The only issue I have had so far is the rear a/c leaking water inside the cabin. This was/is a common problem, and Mercedes was sued for models up to 2014, in a class action suit. Mine was repaired under warranty, twice! I think the dealership messed it up the first time. We have the 12 passenger model and mostly use it for family travel. They are very comfortable on the highway, power is good, we've even pulled our toy trailer to FL behind it. Mileage was not as good.

I bought a new 2016 Sprinter and I love it. It gets 23mpg on the highway, you can drive it all day long and not be tired. I only have about 21k miles on it right now. It has had a few small warranty concerns, rear a/c leaking water inside, check engine light for a communication problem between the computers. Have had 2 oil changes so far, been doing them every 7500 miles. It pulls trailers fine and has moved a house full from Michigan to Georgia.
What type of oil are you using? I am a Amsoil dealer and have not changed my own oil yet. I want to do 7,500 mile changes.

After reading up on some of the problems MB is having in their Sprinters with the Bluetec engines, I'm now having second thoughts on buying one. Exhaust temps of 1800 degrees? Overly complicated exhaust/emissions system (to meet ridiculous gub'mint standards) that tend to fail? Exorbitantly high maintenance costs? Hundreds of dollars for an oil change? MB mechanics not wanting to touch them? Of all the reviews and information I read, there wasn't very many good remarks. Although the one I drove was by far the "tightest" feeling van I tested, I'm starting to think it might be a poor choice to buy one. Strange thing is, I bought an ML350 2 years ago for my wife and we've been pretty happy with it, although it is a gas engine....

I don’t have one but my son is a dirt bike racer and it is the vehicle of choice for many of our racing friends.

I have talked to many of them and without exception they all love them.

Back
Top Bottom