• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone hunt Arkansas rice fields?

Ga hunter

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
The past few years a few friends of mine and I have hunted in Arkansas with a guide service and this year have decided that instead we’d rather just go ahead and lease a rice field to hunt in. We’ve got the field already, but we are curious as to how many decoys to bring and what species we should try and acquire for the hunt. We have a mixed assortment of mostly mallards, but also have some divers, half a dozen spoonies, half a dozen gadwall, and about 2 dozen teal. We’re trying to decide if we should invest in some pintail, wigeon, speck or other species of decoy to further our success. We aren’t great speck callers, but have heard they will help as a confidence decoys.

I asked this same question on another forum, but didn’t get much response!
Any help would be appreciated!

Bring them all. There are always lots of pintails so pin decoys surely wouldn’t hurt. I like to get some white in the spread as well as some size variety. Specs are commonly used. Sometimes specs just sail in
no calling. Try to look natural. Sometimes on a cloudy day , just a handful of dekes close to the pit works. It doesn’t matter what you do, if you are where the ducks want to be.
Where in Ark. is your pit?

Hey everybody,
The past few years a few friends of mine and I have hunted in Arkansas with a guide service and this year have decided that instead we’d rather just go ahead and lease a rice field to hunt in. We’ve got the field already, but we are curious as to how many decoys to bring and what species we should try and acquire for the hunt. We have a mixed assortment of mostly mallards, but also have some divers, half a dozen spoonies, half a dozen gadwall, and about 2 dozen teal. We’re trying to decide if we should invest in some pintail, wigeon, speck or other species of decoy to further our success. We aren’t great speck callers, but have heard they will help as a confidence decoys.

I asked this same question on another forum, but didn’t get much response!
Any help would be appreciated!
Set a bunch of Trump decoys out.They will come in by the droves to crap on them.

We hunt in Stuttgart as well. My experience is they can be hot or cold. We gave up our fields and leased a reservoir .

Feel free to PM me. We hunted Stuttgart the last 8 -10 years.

Back
Top Bottom