• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone into Silver Dollars?

Have a complete set of Varian A.O. silverware, from a family member who most likely got it overseas in either the Middle East or somewhere in Europe while deployed in the 1950's/possible early 60's.

Here are some pictures of one of the pieces.

Can anyone give me any info on this brand/company, and maybe let me know where to sell the set?
If it came from the middle east, it was originally priced by putting it on a scale a weighing it. There will be one price for muslims, and another for infidels. The workmanship means very little.

Vartan is the maker, it's Persian (Iran) and of 84/96 parts pure silver (probably). Persia used (uses) the Russian Zolotnik standards for purity. To be sure though, I'd need a non-blurry picture of the marks.

There is a Book of Faces group where you can probably get more info as this is not my area of expertise. Do not ask regarding value or venue for sales though. Info only. Ebay is your best bet for maximum exposure to collectors. I'd set a minimum at melt less ten percent and let it go if it has no familial meaning.

I have a love for the old silverware as well there just doesn't seem to be much money in the reselling of it. People just don't appreciate antiques like they used to

Most modern "wedding silver" patterns have little value beyond the intrinsic but, there are always people looking to replace pairs of spoons, forks, etc. It can be tiresome to sell that way and fees eat you alive (now) on ebay, but even thin market items & patterns will find a buyer there. You'll have to judge whether or not the effort is worth the premium over sending it to Midwest Refiners or some other scrapper.

Some flatware patterns (last quarter Nineteenth Century, post Comstock Lode) bring outrageous premiums due to scarcity and desirability.

Most modern "wedding silver" patterns have little value beyond the intrinsic but, there are always people looking to replace pairs of spoons, forks, etc. It can be tiresome to sell that way and fees eat you alive (now) on ebay, but even thin market items & patterns will find a buyer there. You'll have to judge whether or not the effort is worth the premium over sending it to Midwest Refiners or some other scrapper.

Some flatware patterns (last quarter Nineteenth Century, post Comstock Lode) bring outrageous premiums due to scarcity and desirability.
Have been trying to sell (not too ambitiously) a Gorham tea service (Plymouth) for a while on Book of Feces. A few bites, but mostly scammers, including "Igor," who tried to educate me on scrap vs melt values etc. I thanked him for the free seminar.
The Plymouth pattern may not be 19th century, but still 'posed ta be fairly desirable. I thought? Couple of handles are loose, and it needs a polish, but not monogrammed.

Have considered "replacements.com." Not even sure at the moment if what I'm asking is over or under spot. I know a blue-haired regular auction attendee who drives to NC with her china and sells it directly to them.

Edit: Oh dang, fleabay sellers want a boatload more than what I'm asking. Will prolly relist there for Scrooge McDuck money. ODT color-filled Glock, or hookers n blow, soon the choices will be hard.

Back
Top Bottom