• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know about thompson center contender

cea6679

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
46   0
Reaction score
If anyone can answer this question for me! How hard does a 7mm.08 in a Thompson Contender kick? I know its gonna kick pretty hard, but would just like to know before I buy one and it breaks my wrists! I shoot alot of different handguns and calibers but I was just wondering about this gun!

You can't get a Contender in 7mm-08, but you can get an Encore. If you're recoil shy, then most anything over 357 is going to be hard. Without knowing what you're used to, it's better than shooting it as a rifle. The hands and arms do a better job of absorbing the recoil than your shoulder. If I had to gauge it, I'd say it's along the line of a good max 44 mag load.

I did it once and enjoyed it thoroughly. It wasn't bad at all. If it has a brake on it, then ignore the above, it's extremely easy to shoot.

Last edited:
Gotta say, I own 2 contenders and they are amazing guns! The largest caliber barrel I have is a 7-30 waters, which surprisingly enough is VERY manageable... I think the greatest thing the T/Cs have goin for them in that respect is their sheer weight. It takes up alot of the recoil. I've shot it single handed no problem.

Back
Top Bottom