• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know how many rounds it takes to break your recoil spring off the guide rod?

bulletpaluza

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
263   0
Reaction score
Mine broke last night there is zero lip left for the spring to catch on. I shoot this 17L in competition I take training classes with it I train at home with it. It's always the first and last pistol I shoot. I have somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000 rounds through it and have never changed anything but the barrel for my silencer. I think it's held up pretty well and it's not a break that would keep the pistol from functioning. I only noticed it when I took it apart to clean it.
Is this the normal amount of rounds you should get out of the guide rod and spring?
20170329_085124.jpg

so much depends on varying factors.
quality of the piece, attention to quality control, power of rounds shot, length of the rod assembly.
I don't think that you can figure an average life span?
MY shorty (defender/ officers) size 1911's eat recoil spring assemblies compared to my larger/longer weapons.
10,000 rounds on a recoil spring is pretty good though.

I agree, I think it depends, but I hear normally around 9 to 10,000 rounds?
They're so cheap, I replace every few thousand rounds. Good to have another laying around anyway.

i replace recoil springs on my 1911's for maintenance every 5k rounds, its cheap insurance, helps keep recoil in check, and protects more expensive frame parts. i'm sure I could go longer, but they are only $7.. its one of the things I keep in stock in the parts bins in my loading room along with extra fiber optic rods, a couple barrel links and pins and misc plastic parts for my progressive press that wear over time (I load and shoot a ton)

Back
Top Bottom