• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know how to make good compost from ...

So, how long does the compost last after its made? Is it something I can set aside and save, or is it something I can keep alive by adding green bits and vegetable scraps, watering and turning as needed?
Dirt lasts forever, which is what you have basically made. If you go to a nursery and buy a bag of compost, this is what it is.
Yes, you can keep adding to it. Throw in your garden spot a month before you are ready to plant and till it in.

48E5AA24-786E-41EF-A465-342C7ED22354.jpeg

The thing about compost is air and vegetation, with the right amount of water. Turn the tash can over and dump everything out. Fluff it with a pitchfork and let it sit. The microorganisms need air, water, and green stuff to eat. Too much water isn’t good. Not enough water out in the desert isn’t good. If you left the dumped out pile on it’s own for a month untouched it would probably make passable compost all by itself.

The next time you mow the lawn, dump the grass clippings in a pile next to the first one. It rains enough out here to provide enough moisture without having to worry about watering it.

If you are itching to play with the compost pile, turn it with a pitchfork. When it decomposes down to what looks like dirt. It should smell nice and earthy. If it stinks, you probably have too much water.

You can add it to your vegetable garden when it looks like dirt. The earthworms will like it when it looks like dirt too. They don’t usually go for the vegan diet. They will thrive on the decomposed compost, again too much water will drown them.

If you try to use it too soon, the decomposing material will hamper the plant growth.

Don’t over think it. The smaller size material breaks down faster. If you could get the guy who runs all the branches and linbs through the chipper/shredder to dump his truck in your backyard. Your would have great compost after nature takes its course.

If you could get the guy who runs all the branches and linbs through the chipper/shredder to dump his truck in your backyard. Your would have great compost after nature takes its course.

We have practically been begging all spring/summer to have wood chips dumped at the house. I don't know what the tree companies are doing w/ them, but we haven't gotten a load yet.

We have practically been begging all spring/summer to have wood chips dumped at the house. I don't know what the tree companies are doing w/ them, but we haven't gotten a load yet.
The people who charge you for cutting down your trees have a side business of selling firewood. The folks who have invested in the chipper shredder either have people paying for their material, or sell the finished compost

The people who charge you for cutting down your trees have a side business of selling firewood. The folks who have invested in the chipper shredder either have people paying for their material, or sell the finished compost

They all promise to drop it off when in our area, but drive right on past. We got so much last year that we almost ran out of yard to keep it, but have used it all.

Back
Top Bottom