• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know how to make good compost from ...

So, how long does the compost last after its made? Is it something I can set aside and save, or is it something I can keep alive by adding green bits and vegetable scraps, watering and turning as needed?
Compost is like pizza leftovers, doesn't stay around long enough to see if it ever goes bad.

So, how long does the compost last after its made? Is it something I can set aside and save, or is it something I can keep alive by adding green bits and vegetable scraps, watering and turning as needed?
As soon as you start a pile, it starts to cook. No it doesn’t need any old stuff like yeast to start it. You will find that there is a height that you won’t want to go over.

The weight squeezes the air out from the lowest part of the pile, so it won’t break down. If you go too big you may find a dry layer compressed together kinda like a kilo of marijuana.

Don’t over think it. Pile up your vegetation to about 4x4x4. Forget about it and next time you have yard clippings make a new pile.

After a month turn the pile with a pitchfork and pull the big stuff. Turning the pile aerates it and the undecompsed material will be turned in.

When it looks like dirt. It’s ready. And if you don’t use it, it will slowly Decompose into a small pile indistinguishable from dirt.

I have seen several post re eggshells in this thread. I wash rinse my egg shells and let them dry and put them in a old coffee can and keep them mashed down with my hand. When I get enough, I grind them in a small food processor to almost powder and when I plant tomato's and other calcium loving vegetables, I sprinkle a little in the bottom of the hole when planting to prevent blossom rot. It works.

I have seen several post re eggshells in this thread. I wash rinse my egg shells and let them dry and put them in a old coffee can. When I get enough, I grind them in a small food processor to almost powder and when I plant tomato's and other calcium loving vegetables, I sprinkle a little in the bottom of the hole when planting to prevent blossom rot. It works.

This is the smartest thing I’ve heard all week & I stayed in a Holiday Inn one night.

The people who charge you for cutting down your trees have a side business of selling firewood. The folks who have invested in the chipper shredder either have people paying for their material, or sell the finished compost
Graystone electric will send you some ,just get on their list. #770-426-6576

We have practically been begging all spring/summer to have wood chips dumped at the house. I don't know what the tree companies are doing w/ them, but we haven't gotten a load yet.

I have been successful in keeping an ear out, and when i hear some cutting going on, locating the source, and offering to let them dump in my yard. Biggest thing they want is easy access, which I have. i think being "Johnny on the spot" is more effective than a anything else.

Back
Top Bottom