• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know why we fix things that are not broken?

Gimmebackmybullets

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
275   0
Reaction score
Like the title says. The ODT has been my go to for not only the sport and hobby of firearms and firearm related items, but for entertainment, socializing with like minded individuals that share the same moral and political views as I do. And we sometimes share a sick and twisted sense of humor that contradicts my strict Baptist raising to a level that I truly believe God himself is entertained by at times, although he might be rolling his eyes. I love this website and its patrons( 99%) like I do my old dog. So, with that said, why in the hell, would someone over this past weekend, try to improve on something that I already felt was perfect ? I'm internet challenged on my best day.I Had everything the way I wanted it in order to list Items for sale, listen to opinions, get a laugh when I needed it, and watch anyone with liberal views get burned at the stake(not literally) and I always left with a smile on my face. So. Does anyone know why the perfection was tampered with, and made more challenging and downright hard to figure out how to upload pics in ads and various other things that I suppose I took for granted. All input is welcome whether in agreement or to just remind me I'm a technical dinosaur. My skin is real thick.

I can't speak to the front end, although I have faith that Okuma will mold this new version into something MOST will love.

I can speak to the back end: The old software was MANY years old and out-of-date. Dead end in terms of support. Dead end in terms of how much performance/how many users could be supported. Web technologies change quickly. What was standard five years ago is a dinosaur today, and it's dicey to keep old software running beyond it's intended/supported life. Okuma is running very good hardware to make this site responsive, but the old software put even that really good hardware to the test.

The big challenge of this migration is Okuma put a lot of time/$/effort into customizations of the old software, to make the old software as good as it was. Bringing all of that forward to the new software is a big challenge.

Have a little faith. He'll deliver the same quality.

I can't speak to the front end, although I have faith that Okuma will mold this new version into something MOST will love.

I can speak to the back end: The old software was MANY years old and out-of-date. Dead end in terms of support. Dead end in terms of how much performance/how many users could be supported. Web technologies change quickly. What was standard five years ago is a dinosaur today, and it's dicey to keep old software running beyond it's intended/supported life. Okuma is running very good hardware to make this site responsive, but the old software put even that really good hardware to the test.

The big challenge of this migration is Okuma put a lot of time/$/effort into customizations of the old software, to make the old software as good as it was. Bringing all of that forward to the new software is a big challenge.

Have a little faith. He'll deliver the same quality.
If I didn't have faith, I would not have blew off steam to the entire ODT To begin with. I guess my rant left out that part and for that I apologize. I also am fresh (1 week exactly) into a new phone that I absolutely despise, when the new change occoured,here. That did not help. I'm sure 1 year from now I will have adapted to the change and we can all have a good laugh. But its tough for a old timer such as myself at the moment. Kinda like someone pulled the rug out from under you.

I'm pretty sure that the upgrade was necessary due to the previous version becoming unsupported and thus it would become a security risk. At least I think that's what I remember.

Was going to say this. Once software reaches it's end of life cycle, the developers will no longer support it with security patches to fix flaws in the system. Just imagine if ODT had retained an older version of the software in which an exploit was found that allowed an attacker to see all of our personal data including private messages and transactions between members. I know personally this is not something I would like to happen with my firearm purchase history data, and I don't imagine most traders on the site would care for that either.

In the end, it's a necessary evil. You'll get used to any new changes soon enough, and life on the ODT will return to normal.

It's like getting new phone, at first you hate it but you eventually figure it out and love it more than your old phone, and then, at that very moment, it's time for a new phone.

Technology man, gotta keep up or get left behind.
Agreed. The timing sucked tho

So. Does anyone know why the perfection was tampered with, and made more challenging and downright hard to figure out how to upload pics in ads and various other things that I suppose I took for granted. All input is welcome whether in agreement or to just remind me I'm a technical dinosaur. My skin is real thick.
Only Glock is perfection, and there are 5 generations of them. The only constant in life is change. :D

Back
Top Bottom