• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone load any subsonic .338 Federal?

I did 308 subs a long time ago. Like, pre 300 blk being a thing. Same case bigger bullet. What ya scheming?

Several companies are doing barrels for the SIG Cross in various calibers, including .338 Federal, which has always interested me.

Subs are a basically a matter of velocity, regardless of bullet weight. By using a .338 I’ll have a good selection of bullets. Pushing a 300grn bullet at 1000fps will still have some thump to it.

If I only shoot subsonics, I can even use certain 9mm cans to suppress it.

I plan on SBR’ing my Cross, and having a selection of long and short barrels for it.

Several companies are doing barrels for the SIG Cross in various calibers, including .338 Federal, which has always interested me.

Subs are a basically a matter of velocity, regardless of bullet weight. By using a .338 I’ll have a good selection of bullets. Pushing a 300grn bullet at 1000fps will still have some thump to it.

If I only shoot subsonics, I can even use certain 9mm cans to suppress it.

I plan on SBR’ing my Cross, and having a selection of long and short barrels for it.
Besides twist rate, the only other tidbit I have is if you find accuracy to be somewhat lacking, try seating the bullet backwards. I loaded 210 gr 308 vld that refused to group well until they went butt first. No idea what witchcraft that was.

Besides twist rate, the only other tidbit I have is if you find accuracy to be somewhat lacking, try seating the bullet backwards. I loaded 210 gr 308 vld that refused to group well until they went butt first. No idea what witchcraft that was.

Good to know! Thanks.

For what it’s worth I’ve killed 2 big ga bucks with some of the federal fusion 338 Federals. I’ve shot a lot of deer and nothing has put them down as fast as the 338 federal.

Back
Top Bottom